I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frog Rod Maybe
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 03:08PM

I have been shaking, bending, wiggling a Rainshadow HS962 Med, Extra Fast, 1/4 -5/8 oz,
, 12 - 20 lb blank and wondering if anyone has considered building or has built this as a Frog Rod. I know a Back Bouncing blank such as a Castaway BB1 makes a great Frog rod. Was wondering about this Hot Shot blank and maybe trimming some softness out of the tip.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frog Rod Maybe
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2016 04:22PM

Not near stiff enough, Schneider's has the XMB frog blanks on sale. XMB874.5.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 08:31PM

J.B.
I think that I still like the original Castaway 874 the best for frogs. I have recently been using it for heavy wobble heads in deep water (up to 30 ft) and really like it for that and it also works good for certain pitching situations. I just wish that I could come up with a match for it. I am going to have to look at the XMB's.

Since you mentioned the BB1. Do you have any experience with new NON Castaway versions? I have been thinking about picking a couple up.

Thanks
Tom

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 11:08PM

No experience with them yet. I do know they have changed the numbering system and they don't have any finish.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: October 10, 2016 02:04PM

thanks, I will just have to pull the trigger on a couple and see what they are all about.

Regarding the HS blank I guess that you best bet is going to be running the numbers on it and seeing what you can come up with.

Tom

Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2016 03:48PM

You may consider the Elliott C7'3" MH-F for a frogging rod [getrodblanks.com]. I've been using this blank this summer and fall and I can share that it's super light weight, has plenty of power with a soft tip that casts a frog huge distances. I know I work for this company but if you try this blank and don't like it for frogging I'd be really surprised. That said if for any reason you didn't like that blank just contact me and I'll make the situation right for you.

Oh...this rod be be used for many other tactics too. I like it for spinnerbaits, jigs, flipping and I have a customer who uses it for Texas Rigs and he loves the 7'3"for Texas Rigs.

Pete

Posted by: Rick Ballard (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2016 10:38AM

I like that Castaway 874 blank as well for frogs. I have 2 of them and they are perfect for the walking frogs and buzz frogs. I fish them in slop so a mxf rod would not get it done for me.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2016 10:05AM

Although not the brand you are looking at on here but I have built quite a few frog rods for the tournament guys here and I have used the MHX MB874 It is powerful and the tip is light enough for a very long cast even on the smaller frogs. Unlike some frog rods it doesn't feel like you are holding a broom stick. All I can say is I have had several repeat orders for them. I have two myself and would not look elsewhere for a great frog rod

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 10:06AM by Tom Wewerka.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster