I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flipping stick blank
Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2016 09:44PM

i have a dobyns championship extreme dx765 flip rod that i won in a contest. i like the rod so much, id like to build a spare/ replacement rod to match the weight /power / action . is there a board sponsor who offers a comparable blank ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flipping stick blank
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: October 04, 2016 06:38PM

If you know how to run the CCS system it will give you the information needed to match your blank as close as possible. If not....... Search common cents here.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: October 09, 2016 08:34PM

Sam,

Have you been able to come up with something for a match?

Tom

Date: October 09, 2016 08:50PM

Sam,

Have you been able to come up with something for a match?

Tom

Date: October 15, 2016 09:26PM

no sir, i have not.

Date: October 16, 2016 03:35PM

I know that Lamiglass has a completed rod in their closeout sections on their website that may fit the bill for you. I didn't find the 765 listed on their website so I couldn't match it spec wise. Could you put up the specs and maybe I can come up with something that might get you close?

Tom

Date: October 16, 2016 10:01PM

aye, theres the rub. evidently the dx 765 flip has been recently discontinued. sigh. i suppose the 769 would be close. not a fan of an 8' flipping blank, although some are. ive got a 7'6"mhx blank that a buddy of mine made for me, and its great, but not as powerful and light as the dobyns . i know the dobyns is probably a higher modulus blank, as it is their top of the line blank. i need the lighter weight to be able to flip all day if needed, ive had some hand surgeries in the past that can limit me at times.

Date: October 17, 2016 08:52AM

let us know what the ratings are for the 765 (lure and line) and I am sure that we can certainly get you close. There is a good possibility that the Dobyns is a higher modulus unless you are using a HI Mod MHX then they may be rather close but that is pure speculation.

I think that right now the best options out there will be the SCV's in the ModFast as well as the Northforks. I have a Norfork Composites HM 766 that is terribly light and sensitive yet is a very stout stick. Unless you go with a light Bounce Back blank that you cut down to make the length rod you are looking for. (Similar to the old Castaway BB1's and BB2's) the Croix and Northforks are probably the best flip blanks out there right now.

What is your price range that you are looking for? It seemed that the DX's were around 289 or so.

Tom

Date: October 17, 2016 08:54PM

dobyns dx765 flip 1pc. 12-25#line, 1/4 -2 oz, med /hvy , fast action is whats listed on the label. light as a feather and strong as an ox, with good tip action for lighter flipping weights. perfect fliping stick imo.

price range ? please remember that i won this rod in a contest, free to me . i have silk purse tastes on a sows ear budget. LOL
this flipping stick is the highest end rod that i currently fish with. i have an older lamiglas TI-2000 casting rod that im going to be restoring soon, but i didnt buy it either. ( gift from BASS pro for a guide trip )

sounds like i need to give that hm766 a look

Date: October 17, 2016 09:17PM

upon review, that mh766 is definitely out of my price range, no way i could hide that from the missus.

Date: October 18, 2016 12:53PM

Sam take a look at the IM series they are a bit more budget friendly. albeit not much. I did notice the Batson Revalation REVFS76MH-SB should be right on track spec wise as your current blank and the weight isn't too bad either. I will say that I prefer to have my blanks under the 3.0 ounce range to keep the overall build as light as I possibly can. That is just my personal preference. I have held other builds on heavier blanks that felt very nice.

Hope that this helps out a bit.

Tom

Date: October 18, 2016 08:27PM

many thanks tom. as a rookie rodbuilder, this site is a wealth of information for me, even if a bunch of it is over my head at this point.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster