I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

keeping it simple
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 30, 2016 09:26AM

Has anyone created a blank for conventional reels which had an opening in the fore grip or the adjacent blank through which the line could pass directly into a guide train on the underside of the blank?
Such an opening could be engineered so that it would not weaken the blank in the least and would provide the same benefits as a spiral guide configuration in a much neater arrangement.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: keeping it simple
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.33.---)
Date: September 30, 2016 09:47AM

I think it would be easier to ferrule the blank to a reelseat/grip assembly, in fact it was done before. The blank rides above the reelseat/grip assembly and looks like the old dogleg reel seats used in earlier days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 09:54AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2016 10:05AM

The Bass Handler handle positioned the rod blank above the reel spool and allowed the line to run directly from the spool to the underside of the rod. At least two companies have produced rods where the line entered the rod and then ran along the inside of the blank, no guides required. All have met with some difficulty or another, but the concepts are at least sound. The problem has always been the implementation.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: September 30, 2016 11:47AM

A through hole in both sides of the blank would have fit a certain reel size, type, position of guide, and size, or height of guide to my way of thinking. Grip length would also be affected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 11:49AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2016 12:50PM

Phil, it was meant as a joke when I mentioned angle drilling through a blank to improve on the spiral wrap concept in my post “Wave guides and Acid wraps” a few days ago, in which you responded four times. But it got you thinking which is always a good thing. A word of caution, though, on becoming an Over Thinker like me!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 01, 2016 05:29PM

Different tools for different tasks. Spiral guide wraps have been widely praised for trolling and jigging for big fish. I am unaware of any spiral wrapped factory-built surf rods or inshore rods for conventional reels. Are there any situations using a conventional "on top" reel where use of a spiral wrapped rod would be a disadvantage? As a fly fisherman for over 55 years I am familiar with counter-productive influences of tradition upon sport fishing as well as numerous short-lived fads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster