I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: "Wave" guides and "Acid" wraps
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 30, 2016 12:22PM

Thomas, Thank you for your reply. Mr. Martens is the first I’ve heard of using the MicroWave system during tournament fishing. You mentioned his use of a spinning rod which made me reflect on the few bass tour shows I have watched and I cannot remember seeing anyone using a spinning rod, only casting. I would think the MicroWave system would be more effective/noticeable controlling the chaotic coils coming off a spinning reel than the more controlled line coming off a casting reel, so maybe my question of “how many on tour use the MicroWave system” is not really fair. But then, if Mr. Martens is the only one using a spinning rod and utilizes MicroWave guides, that speaks quite well of the system.
Tom, a few post ago within this thread, Norman mentioned how you “alluded to many fishermen are unwilling to try a spiral wrapped rod because of its unconventional look”. That may be the biggest issue with the concept as I know it is (or more precisely was) with me. The need to slightly deflect the line around to the bottom of the blank does not concern me because the very minimal amount of additional line/guide friction is greatly offset by simply getting the guides and line to the bottom of the rod where they will perform optimally. With a conventional casting setup, properly spaced reduction guides will produce a perfect “bullseye” and, theoretically, afford the line coming off the top of the spool a straight path to pass though without touching the guides. It is impossible to direct the line from the top to the bottom of the rod in a straight line unless angle grilling a hole through the rod as suggested by some imbecile earlier. The line must be deflected a minimum of ½ the rod diameter plus the height of the guide foot to bottom of the ring measurement if only one transition guide is used, slightly less if two are used. Or am I ignorant to/missing something?

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: September 30, 2016 12:33PM

Phil =

Some video of spiral wrapped Black Hole tuna rods in action (as well as conventional wrapped rods) [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 30, 2016 01:15PM

Thanks, Ken. Nice video! But what happens with a big fish on? lol

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 30, 2016 01:42PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2016 04:52PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2016 01:43PM

That video was taken three years ago on a film trip to Puerto Vallarta featuring Black Hole Rods. The show was broadcast on national TV in South Korea. Last year we did a similar trip to PEI with filming by the same crew. There should be some youtube videos of that trip as well as this years trip just ended last week.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2016 02:43PM

Mark,

You need to tape up a set of guides and do a bit of pondering - I think you'll understand more about the concept once you actually try it. In fact, you can give it a try and get a good idea of what path the line prefers when the rod is under load. Tape up a set of guides per conventional guides-on-top casting rod. But don't tape them down tightly. Make sure the guides are free to move/spin. Now load the rod via a line through the guides and watch what happens. Nearly all the guides will spin to the bottom of the rod, excepting the first one or two which will tend to settle in somewhere between 30 and 160 degrees depending on the height of the reel used. Some folks set up this way and simply wrap the guides in place after allowing them to seek their own position on the rod blank. Others, most probably, will lock down at least the butt guide on top of the rod and proceed from there.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 30, 2016 04:15PM

Mark,spiral wraps appear to look strange to a lot of people but they make you look smarter, more in touch, as a builder. One thing though, try the simple spiral first, you may well find it's all you need and to me it's a lot simpler. Lynn

Date: September 30, 2016 06:21PM

Hold on, guys! I understand and am more than comfortable with the spiral wrap concept and plan on utilizing it on my next build. Excuse me if not making that clear in my previous posts. The only issue I have is the path the line takes while transitioning. John Powell referred to “the ‘natural’ line path” which is correct but completely different from traveling in a “straight path” as stated in another post. In a two dimensional plane the line travels straight while in three dimensions it does not. With a stripper guide on top and the next reduction guide on the bottom with no guides in between, rod loaded or not, I can only assume the line will rub the blank somewhere between the two. I was simply asking for verification in case I misunderstood something.
You guys have been a wealth of information on the subject and I have absorbed it all while appreciating it immensely. Actually, all the information has left me wondering if my limited experience is capable of producing a spiral wrap. From the first rod built, I have understood and am very comfortable with static testing for guide placement, if not considering it a no-brainer. But this Acid wrap is a different animal. I am not scared to do it, but I do not take defeat lightly and need all my ducks in a row, “I’s” dotted and “t’s” crossed, prior to attempting.
By the way, Tom, nice Spiral Demo unit. I would not have expected anything less.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2016 07:06PM

Mark Talmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hold on, guys! I understand and am more than
> comfortable with the spiral wrap concept and plan
> on utilizing it on my next build. Excuse me if not
> making that clear in my previous posts. The only
> issue I have is the path the line takes while
> transitioning. John Powell referred to “the
> ‘natural’ line path” which is correct but
> completely different from traveling in a
> “straight path” as stated in another post. In
> a two dimensional plane the line travels straight
> while in three dimensions it does not. With a
> stripper guide on top and the next reduction guide
> on the bottom with no guides in between, rod
> loaded or not, I can only assume the line will rub
> the blank somewhere between the two. I was simply
> asking for verification in case I misunderstood
> something.
> You guys have been a wealth of information on the
> subject and I have absorbed it all while
> appreciating it immensely. Actually, all the
> information has left me wondering if my limited
> experience is capable of producing a spiral wrap.
> From the first rod built, I have understood and am
> very comfortable with static testing for guide
> placement, if not considering it a no-brainer. But
> this Acid wrap is a different animal. I am not
> scared to do it, but I do not take defeat lightly
> and need all my ducks in a row, “I’s” dotted
> and “t’s” crossed, prior to attempting.
> By the way, Tom, nice Spiral Demo unit. I would
> not have expected anything less.

The line should never touch the blank at any time...even when loaded on a big bend.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 30, 2016 07:41PM

The line needn't rub the blank if you don't want it to. An offset butt guide or a bumper guide will take care of that. It's probably time for you to dive in and start building one, trying different methods and seeing which one most appeals to you. I think much of what has been written here will make a lot more sense once you have one under your belt.

Date: October 01, 2016 12:55PM

As suggested, possibly the best thing for me is to just jump in and do it. Securing but not affixing the guides to the blank so they can be repositioned and running a line through them to static test, loaded and unloaded, will probably self explain many issues, even for my over worked brain. Are there any specific guides which are better suited for a spiral wrap or can I stay with my go-to KW’s or MN’s?
As always, Thanks to all assisting.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: October 01, 2016 03:29PM

Mark, You might want to invest in the Rodmaker guides CD. I found it to be helpful, and I'm cheap! Lynn

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2016 02:46AM

That's where it will shine.

Curt

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster