I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lathe bed and parts interchangeable?
Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 06:25PM

Hey all, I was wondering who could tell me if the Alps/PacBay/AmTack parts are interchangeable? I did some horse trading and acquired a new PacBay upgraded chuck, tailstock and tool rest. My dilemma is this, I don't have a wrapper bed for these tools as of yet. Will the Alps bed work with the PacBay parts? Or is there a possibility of using a larger aluminum "T-track" or channel and just routing a space in my bench? I do have a local scrapyard that deals in extruded aluminum and *might* be able to score on some good channel if it might work... I have been hand wrapping all of my stuff and had been waiting to buy a Renzetti or a CPW (I wrap bottom up)... but now that I have these parts, I think I want to make my own power wrapper and upgrade when I can later down the road. I will also be needing a thread carriage and rod supports before this happens, but wanted to know from guys with experience using/abusing their power wrappers. I do have a re purposed sewing machine motor for power. Thanks in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lathe bed and parts interchangeable?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 06:43PM

I've got a PAC Bay wrapper but I've used a CRB tool tray on it with no problems. To me the PAC Bay,,and AmYack look the same.

Date: September 25, 2016 07:02PM

Thanks Gary, I think you are correct. PacBay and AmTack look identical. I guess I should've asked about the Alps bed in particular...so much cheaper than the PacBay or AmTack bed. Wondering if it'll work (even with some slight modification.)

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 08:55PM

I've got a PAC Bay wrapper but I've used a CRB tool tray on it with no problems. To me the PAC Bay,,and AmTack look the same

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 09:05PM

The beds on all the wrappers mentioned are identical along with the bed on the Custom Power Wrapper at Angler's Workshop, it's just gold colored while the others are silver. Thread carriages from each will work as well on each other as will some of the other accesories that ride on the outside edge, the Susan tray from Angler's is a handy item, gives you a place to put your accessories that travels along with the thread carriage and holds things magnetically.
The height of all the rod chucks, tail stocks, and rod supports and how interchangable they are, I have no knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 09:07PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (107.77.87.---)
Date: September 26, 2016 07:08AM

Spencer, I had wondered exactly that about the beds. Appreciate it. I think that the PacBay and AmTack are the exact same parts (at least the upgraded chuck, tail stock, tool rest). At least the AmTack stuff in the catalog looks identical to the PacBay stuff I have with different labels. The Alps chuck and newer tail stock are quite different and seem to have a height adjustment. Thanks again for your help.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2016 09:46AM

Jared Yes, the AT and Pac Bay are the same unit. However the ALPS looks similar but it is not. I ordered a Alps rod stand for my AT lathe and although it fit on the bed of the lathe that is where the similarity ended. The top roller design on the AT/PB is far superior to the Alps. There is no way to match up the rollers either. On my lathe with the top roller laying on bottom two you can push a rod blank back onto the bottom rollers. The Alps roller drops well below the bottom two and makes that impossible so you have to Lock it up if you are putting a rod on that roller.

Another thing if found is that the two bottom rollers don't overlap. This means there is a gap between the bottom rollers and if you are using it at the tip end of the lathe the rod blank will and can fall below the rollers and become totally ineffective. Not so on the Pac Bay American Tackle rod stands. So not everything interchangeable is for the best.

However, I will say that the ALPS aluminum chuck did fit my lathe and is the very best on the market in my opinion. It is well made offers multiple speeds on drying and the chuck has never had a rod work out if it. It is far and away superior to the plastic chuck that comes standard on those units.

Tom

Date: October 04, 2016 10:50AM

Thank you Tom, I will probably build or have some stands made as well as a thread carriage. I do like the Alps chuck a bunch, but for right now I have the PacBay upgraded chuck. I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth, ha ha. Eventually I will buy a Custom Power wrapper or a Renzetti, but beggars can't be choosers and I'll work with what I have for now. Appreciate the input greatly, sir!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster