I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Garcia Conolon star rating system?
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 01:32AM

Top of the day, or evening, to all and thanks for responding to clarify.
Through my research, I have learned that the old Garcia Conolon rods were given a “star” rating, with no stars being the top quality and five stars given to the bottom quality rods. This is the inverse of what one, at least me, would normally think. Are any of you familiar with their vintage rating system? I would feel more comfortable with knowledge gained from you qualified, rod building veterans than other web unknowns.
Thank you for your time, concern, knowledge and reply.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Garcia Conolon star rating system?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2016 08:00AM

I've handled and rebuilt a lot of the 5-Star Conolon rods, but never seen any of them "rated" any less. I was under the assumption that their 5-Star rod series was just that - a product series.

Date: September 23, 2016 01:46PM

Thank you, Tom. You are always a wealth of information and your input is graciously respected. I am experiencing difficulty locating more information regarding the significance of their, we’ll just say, “Star identification system”. I would think, and most of you know by now I am guilty of over-thinking, the stars represent the use of different components, agate guides, better cork, ferrules, painted cosmetically blemished blanks (after Garcia merged) and such. It would be nice to learn how to decode the stars.
Since you have worked on so many Garcia Conolon rods, maybe you can enlighten me as to why the two piece casting rod (no stars) I have is split between the front of the reel seat and the foregrip rather than mid rod, leaving a 15in butt with a 70in tip section. Plugging in different rods to the same handle or vice versa? Initially, I assumed it to be a one piece rod until starting to work on it. It also has a white foam foregrip which I would think, here I go yet again, indicates a later production rod. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 01:49PM

the five star conolons were the best of the time(from garcia conolon). 4 star were slightly less impressive, three and two star likewise being slightly less prestigious. some blanks were shared throughout a lineup for all x-star ratings. guides, finish, thread wrap, handle/fitting changed to met the specs. i believe conolon, prior to garcia's acquisition, did not use the star ratings.

Date: September 23, 2016 03:28PM

Woody, thank you for taking the time to offer your input and insight. I believe you are correct in that Conolon did not use the star designations prior to Garcia joining forces. Five stars being the top of the line would seem more universally accepted. While the no-star, black rod I have used less expensive guides without inserts, all the wraps are spaced spiraled as was common back then and the reel seat / ferrule assembly appears to be the old nickel / silver which easily cleaned up very nicely. Being a 12 to 20lb rod, I did add an underwrap though.
Thanks again and hopefully receive more comments from others in-the-know on the site.

Mark Talmo

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 23, 2016 03:47PM

Offset ferrules offer/offered some advantages. During that time, ferrules were generally made of chrome over brass or aluminum, both of which are heavier than glass. So the lower you could put the ferrule on the rod the less rod balance was affected. As long as you can handle-transport-store the longest section, this is not at all a bad way to do things, even today, although modern integral glass or graphite ferrules aren't going to affect balance or swing weight by anywhere near the same amount as metal ferrules do.

Some Conolon rods, and many others of the same time period, were ferruled at the forward end of the reel seat with the fore grip located on the upper rod section. These were most often shorter boat rods and being able to detach the handle and attached reel allowed for easier storage, while the 4 to 5 foot top section was still short enough to transport for most people.

Date: September 23, 2016 05:53PM

Good info and makes sense. Thanks, Tom.

Mark Talmo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster