I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A question of fly rod balance
Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-142.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 12:07AM

Hello all. I am building a Winston Boron IIIx 10' 4wt. It is a massive blank for a 4wt. When it arrived here, I thought there must be a mistake, as it literally feels like an 8 wt. This rod is for me. I have a Lemke reel seat from Snake Brand (which is awesome, btw) I have chosen a Bauer Lohr reel to go with this rod, due to it being on the heavier side. With the reel, the rod is still going to be tip heavy.

I am wondering if it would be a bad idea to use about 10 grams or so, of tungsten powder in epoxy in the butt of the rod, to help with balance. Is it better to keep the rod lighter? Or is a balanced rod worth a little extra weight?

Thank you all.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A question of fly rod balance
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 12:50AM

I suggest not adding weight. I assume you checked out the specified butt and tip diameters to be sure you did get a 4wt blank. A downlocking reel seat will help with the balance issue, otherwise I'd build it out using lightest single foot guides, especially in the top sections.

Date: September 23, 2016 12:56AM

Yes, I even called Winston to confirm. The person I spoke with said that he owned one, loved it, and said that I probably would too. It does have a good feel to it.

I am using Snake Brand guides, though definitely smaller than what Winston builds this rod with. I was planning on using size 1 guides for the first 4 or 5, in the lightweight wire.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 07:01AM

Chris

The lighter the rod the better, so no weight addition.

You can use light wire 1/0 snakes instead of 1s - every tiny bit helps.

Keep the wraps as short as possible, and no tip top wrap.

if you just gotta add butt weight, lead tape under the line backing is a better option than adding weight to the rod.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 07:47AM

If you haven't already, remember you will be adding weight in the form of backer and fly line as well. I would do that first and fish it for a few days before I commit to adding more weight.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 09:36AM

Rather than adding weight to the rod just install a longer grip in front of the reel seat. There is no reason you must grasp a fly rod immediately in front of the reel, and allowing the angler to grip the rod closer to the tip will greatly alter the balance of the rod. Maybe use an 8" full wells grip with a hollow for the thumb, although I can not think of any reason I would not want my fly rod to be tip heavy.

Date: September 23, 2016 01:32PM

Thank you for the replies. I got my answer. No weight.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.35.---)
Date: September 23, 2016 02:30PM

Phil hit it right, the longer than 9 ft. Winstons no matter the weight, all have full wells grips from the factory which I like a lot.

Date: September 23, 2016 02:52PM

Absolutely yes on the full wells.

I am making one from foam and carbon fiber. It is on the spinner, wet with epoxy right now. After is is all dead flat, it will be finished in a clear, velvet feeling industrial finish that feels like cork, but lays out like a fine 'hot rod' flat, only it is tough as nails. It does not even scuff with abrasion from metal. After fishing the composite grips, I prefer them. I love the look of cork, but good cork is expensive, and I find any pores that open up in the cork to be distracting, after fishing composite, annoying even if they are deep. An inconsistently textured cork grip becomes a place where my mind catches, rather than a full extension with the rod. A nice composite grip is pretty easy on the eyes, too, though an obvious break from tradition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster