I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Let's talk feather inlays again
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:58PM

The subject has been brought up before about using bird feathers for inlays on mostly fly rods.
As one who is playing around with learning more specific use of the techniqueI wouldn't mind knowhing who might offer some interesting insights about the following:

1. Types of feathers to use. What bird species? preferred colors, things relating to the source. Neck feathers?

2. Picking the feathers and cutting if necessary. What parts of the feathers do you use? How do you configure them to patterns or finished shapes?

3. Much of feather inlay talk is related to using with fly rods. What about other rods. What ideas about useing on say, musky or bass/walleye rods. Patterns? Some pictures show feather inlay showing fish images even with chasing another fish idea.

4. Any hints on technique. Use of underwrap, what finish over the underwrap? What color preserver and technique is best used over the feather? drying times? etc.

I know Russ Gooding had the excellent article in RodMaker and I've got excellent supplemental instructions from other rodbuilders. I still like input about the use of feather inlays for rods other than fly rods. Mostly interested in choosing which feathers and what to pattern.

I bet there is a lot of creativity to be learned yet with feathers used in blanks for inlays. I've seen impressive photographs and up close the work of experts with this, mostly fly rods. Perhaps, I am more out to lunch with the idea of doing feather inlays on rods such as muskie or saltwater?? you tell me.

Rich

Solyrich Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Let's talk feather inlays again
Posted by: Capt. Harold (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: November 14, 2001 07:22AM

Interesting subject. I am now in the process of perfecting the inlay of a small trout fly on a portion or the cork handle of a fly rod. I use a Dremel tool to bore out a small oval indentation in the cork. Then I apply a small quanity of LS fiinish, allow time to thicken somewhat, insert the fly, apply more finish to cover, let that thicken, then fill the indentation completely.level with the edges. A small amount is then applied while installed in a drying motor, stopping occasionally to apply another drop or so. Eventually as it turns it conforms to the rounded shape of the handle without spilling over the edges. It takes time but really comes out nice and formed properly. The end result is a colorful fly suspended in clear finish conformed to the exact shape of the handle. Of course the handle should be of the wells or half wells type and have enough thickness to accommodate the project. Cigar shapes may be too thin unless the fly is mounted in the center which may not be such a good idea. Near the forward part of the handle works and looks better.

So far all of mine are on scrap pieces and cheap cork handles but they are really impressive. I'm thinking of going for the real thing on an customers rod next week. You can bet I'll do the insert before I attach it to the rod just in case I mess that one up, which can happen.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 15, 2001 09:56AM

Will it stay in place? Sound like a very neat idea, but wondering if adhesion will be adequate to stand the test of time. DO you think it could "pop out" so to speak.
Elrod

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 15, 2001 01:24PM

I don't think it matters what feathers you use, I just did one on a fly rod where I used some nice green feathers that my mom sent me compliments of my little brother's pet parrot, While I am still perfecting getting the feathers to lay the way I want them to, the colors were great, a really cool iradescent green on a black background. As far as different types of rods, I did some repair work for a guy over the summer who had a spinning rod that had MANY, possibly a hundred or more feathers instead of a but wrap(if I am not mistaken, they looked like grouse to me). These went all the way around the blank, and were overlapped, giving it the affect of scales, or even like the body of the bird.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 15, 2001 06:06PM

That's the kind of idea I was looking for. The 'fish scale' effect. hmmm?

Better load up the shotgun again and head for the bush. Hello, Mr. grouse!

Seems many talk of irridescent and green or blue shades of feathers.

I like the idea of emulating some fish pattern or scale effect that would better represent rods other than fly rods.

I like the innovation presented by Capt. Harold. I hope it works for the long term.

This feather techniques leads to all sorts of possibilities. Makes ones head spin.

Rich

LOTS of feathers...
Posted by: Buddy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2001 12:28AM

Guys,

First, for those of you who aren't 'fly tyers', you can get all the feathers you'll need, in an overwhelming array of colors and 'shapes' at any well stocked fly shop.

I bought a whole grouse skin, a ringneck pheasant skin, plus some 'crest' plumage from the golden pheasant for fly tying purposes last week, and it ALL came to less than $20. Theres enough feathers here to COMPLETELY cover, butt to tip, about thirty 9 foot fly rods, and STILL tie a couple of hundred flies as well.

And, here's a tip for those looking to custom 'shape' the feathers. You can buy a product called 'softex' which is just a flexible coating. Lay ANY feather on a piece of wax paper, aluminum foil, etc., and brush a coat of this stuff on the feather. Let it 'set' (which only takes a couple of minutes) and you can take a pair of scissors or an exacto knife and cut the feather into any shape you want. It's just like a sheet of thin 'plastic' after it's dry.

I routinely make several different wing shapes, wing cases, and 'minnow sides' by cutting feathers in this manner.

Seems like it would go onto a rod just like any 'label' would.

The only thing I don't know is if these coated feathers will cause any problems with the curing of the epoxy coating used on rods. I can't envision any trouble here as long as the stuff on the feathers is completely cured, but I just don't know.

As another thought, since the LS and Flex Coat stuff is supposed to be 'flexible', maybe just light coat of this stuff on the feathers FIRST, let it dry, peel it from the wax paper, cut to desired shape, and then put it on the rod......hmmmm???

Anyway, feathers are cheap as long as you don't want anything too exotic.

Good Luck!

Re: LOTS of feathers...
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: November 17, 2001 12:25AM

I think that dave's flexcement would also work if you wanted to shape feathers. has anyone tried the fake jungle cock eyes? I guess they come printed plastic film that you can cut to shape. may save some of us po-folks some dough over buying a whole jungle cock neck, I think I could get another blank for what they go for!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster