I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light wire vs standard or heavy wire snake guides
Posted by: Sid Thao (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2016 10:38PM

Hello, I've been wondering if there is any particular reason why heavier weight fly rods or Spey rods should use heavier gauge wire snake guides than light? Is it due to looks? Or is there a performance issue with using light wire guides with thicker/heavier line? I find it somewhat hard to believe it would be due to strength of guide since it's double foot and wrapped twice but I could be wrong! Thinking of putting light wire guides (Sz 4 so it should have a large enough opening for knots) on a Spey Rod for reduced weight. Any thoughts on this is appreciated! Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light wire vs standard or heavy wire snake guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2016 10:42PM

Light wire guides are fine for fishing. It's the handling of the rod in transport and storage where the issue of how much strength you need creeps in. If you take good care of your equipment, I think the advantage of lighter weight along rod will pay off in a crisper, more enjoyable rod to fish with. If you anticipate a lot of banging, bumping, etc. then they may not be the best choice.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 09:07AM

Tom

What is your thinking with regard to heavier rods for the salt? I've typically abandoned the light wire guides for 8 weight and above. Guide size takes care of knot passage, but I've restored to standard wire just because. Maybe that is not necessary?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2016 10:29AM

Just depends on handling. The light wire is more than adequate for fish fighting, but not good where a little rougher handling is expected. Of course, on heavier rods, the slight additional weight of the standard wire guides isn't going to be as noticeable as it is on much lighter fly rods, so the standard guides may remain the best choice for the rods you mention.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 12:38PM

And, there may be a "wear factor".
We have replaced guides on rods that have been used hard by local Trout fishing guides.
The worst worn (grooved) were the lighter wire ones.
And if unplated as on some lower end rods, they wear much faster.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 01:10PM

Light wire is flexible. If you bump one leg of a light wire guide it can "pop out" from under the wrapping, unless both legs of each guide have several Forhan wraps covered with epoxy - which lessen any weight saving from lighter guides.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 06:27PM

Would be interested to know how ones does Forhan locking wraps on a double footed guide.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 07:14PM

The lite wire Snake Brand guides do not flex any where near what the recoil memory wire guides do. Never had a single one pop out of the wrapping

Ron Weber

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 07:24PM

I do Forhan wraps on light double foot guides by hand. When I have almost completed my wrap I cut the tying thread, maintaining tension on the wraps with the fingers of one hand, leaving a foot or so of thread to complete the wrap. I use my fingers to make the turns around the guide foot (Forhan wrap) and around the blank, maintaining thread tension all the while. Then I pass the tag end of my wrapping thread through my whip-finish loop, pull it through, and I'm done. I do the other foot the same way. It's easy.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 06:01PM

Sid,
Guide strength should be proportional to the strength of the blank at the mounting position.
The guide will only see the strength supplied by the blank.
On blanks with small diameter tips lighter wire guides are a better choice.
I've used light wire guides on 8 weight fly rods because I fish light tippet and the stronger guide would be overkill.
The lighter guides also reduce break-offs on the hook set due to decreased inertia and better feel of the rod tip.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster