I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drop Shot Blank
Posted by: Gary Schembs (---.clppva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2016 07:07PM

I'm new to rod building and I'm looking to build a dropshot rod. What would be the best rod blank I can get. Looking for a 7' med fast spinning.

Thanks. Gary

Ps also I was looking at Fuji concepts with alconite or Fuji K series. Any opinion on the k series? I never used them befor but the look very similar to the guides on all my Dobyns.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drop Shot Blank
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 08:04AM

I love the Fuji KLH setups for anything that I plan for 15 pound braid or less. Using a 16 first guide. For heavier lines they have a recipe, see their catalog.

Re the blank, the Am Tak Bushidos and Rainshadow Revelations are very nice, very high performing blanks for the money. I think your 7 foot med fast suggestion is right, although I would not hesitate to use a 6 1/2 length or an extra fast action. I would not go below medium power.

The one thing to keep in mind with KLH's and Microwaves is that they are pretty tall-it's part of the secret of their performance, but they might not fit into all rod tubes, either in the boat or for travel.

If I were building a new drop shot rod right now, I would use KLH guides with 4.5 runners.

Posted by: Gary Schembs (---.sub-70-208-153.myvzw.com)
Date: September 22, 2016 10:19AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I was also looking at the Phenix 7' medium fast blank

On the guides if I started with the 16 what would be the rest of the sizes and spacing?

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 10:34AM

I agree with Michael, the Fuji KR concept is great, you will not be disappointed. For a 7' med power fast action spin rod using a 2000 -3000 series reel with 10-20 # braid I would use Fuji KL-H guides in sizes 16, 8, and 5.5, as stripper and reduction guides. For choke and running guides use one or two KB guides with the remaining being KT guides all in size 4.5 or 4.0. I usually use 9 - 10 guides total plus tip top. The stripper will be about 19-20" from the tip of the reel spool. Use the Fuji KR GPS at angler's resource to get a good starting point.
As far as rods are concerned there are a lot of very good rods on the market, it depends how much you want to spend,

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 22, 2016 01:23PM

Gary,
You might consider the following for blanks.
From Batson
ETES68-SS XF
ETES610-SSXF
IMMS68XF-TC (based off of the old RX8's which were superb DS blanks, I have no first hand experience with them the new models though)
IMMS610XF-TC

From St. Croix
3S69MLFX
4C610MLXF
5S610MLXF

From North Fork Composites
HM DS760 and 761

I know that these aren't the 7' that you asked for but it may give you some extra options to consider. There are some other options out there that I haven't mentioned but these are certainly worth a look.

take care,
Tom

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 01:30PM

You might want to look at the Batson ISB822.5-OG (6' 10", we have just Gloss Green left)
or XSB782 (6' 6"'), XSB842 (7'0") in Titanium Chrome finish.
They are now all discontinued,
but we have some left and they are on sale and an excellent buy.
Here are some links;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 04:55PM

Go with a POINT Blank PB701MLF and never look back. And build it KR style. A match made in heaven.

Date: September 22, 2016 07:54PM

Thanks for all the great information.

Is there guide kits so I don't have to worry about the sizes.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 09:10PM

There are no guide kits for the Fuji KR concept. Just buy what you need, in your case I would buy the following in the frame type and ring type of your choice:
1ea KL-H size 16
1ea KL-H size 8
1ea KL-H size 5.5
2ea KB size 4.5 (or 4)
5 ea KT size 4.5 (or 4)
1 ea FC tip top ring size 4.5 tube size to fit your rod.

If you want a kit then buy the microwave guides, they only come in a kit form. The runners are size 5 so a little larger than the Fuji KB/KT runners. You will need a matching tip top with a size 5 ring. The Microwave guides are nice but I prefer the Fuji KR guides. Just remember if you break the microwave stripper or reduction guide you have to buy the entire kit to replace them.

If you want an extremely light guide train try the PacBay minima guides using their match (M) guides for the stripper and reduction guides in size 16 M, 8 M and 6 M, followed by seven of their minima fly (F) guides as runners in size 4 F. The M guides are about the same height as the comparable KL-H guides. The tip top would be the minima micro top model FM size 4 ring. You woulld set these up exactly the same way you would set up the Fuji KR guides using the KR GPS as a starting point. Minima guides come in various frame colors. The chrome ones are the least expensive but work just as well as the other colors. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 22, 2016 09:48PM

Garry,
if you could unhide your email or message me, I have some information that you may find helpful for blank selection.

Tom

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 22, 2016 11:59PM

Best drop shot rod I've built, albeit entirely by accident as I was building a walleye rod, is a 5S66MLF from St Croix that I extended 6". It has a fantastic backbone and incredibly light tip with a super fast action. Was one of those nice little surprises when I built it as it was not my intended purpose.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 07:58AM

I'd have to ask how you fish a drop shot most of the time? I ask because if you fish it what I and others call "video game" style, meaning you're dropping down on fish you can see on your trolling motor mounted transducer, then Michael's earlier mention of considering a 6'6" blank, is an excellent suggestion. The shorter rod is going to make it easier to drop the bait where you want it.

Also, while I understand the want of a medium power blank, I don't think it's necessary unless the rod will be seeing double duty as a shaky head rod. If it's a dedicated drop shot rod, medium light power is more than adequate, simply because you're most likely using exposed hooks that are light wire. You don't need a lot of power.

But then again, it really depends on how you fish a drop shot. Personally I don't use a drop shot as a search tool, so I'm not making long casts with it. If you're making longer casts, then medium power would probably be the better choice.

I'd definitely go with an extra fast action though. My drop shot rod is built on a Pac Bay Quickline QLSJ782 blank. If you're considering a 6'6" blank, and looking for one that's more reasonably priced, you may want to take a look at one. They're really sweet blanks.

If money isn't a major concern, then ..... and I have no experience with the blanks, but I'd go with a blank from the Rainshadow Immortal or Eternity2 series of blanks. I've built on two Immortal blanks and they are awesome blanks. From what I've read from members on here whose opinion I value and trust, the Eternity2 series is out of this world.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 10:06AM

Gary,

I have built too many D/S Rods to count and IMHO the Rainshadow blanks can not be beat. As for Guide type and sizing I would highly recommend the Fuji KR guides. Anglers Resource has a tab on their wed site that give you the sizing and location of the guides for the KR Guides. You enter the rod length, reel size and line test for your build and it calculates the guides sizes and position on the blank. I have used it numerous times and it takes all of the guess work out of the decisions you are trying to make. It gives you the number of running guides to use, but I would recommend static loading the blank to determine the final position for the running guides.

Here is a link to the web page:
[anglersresource.net]

As Mikey says: "Try It You'll Like It!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 09:17PM

If Ron Schneider recommends something, you may trust it. And it will be at a fair price.

Date: September 23, 2016 09:44PM

Sounds good. I will check out anglers resource now.

I appreciate all the information. Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster