I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spring bobbers for ice rods
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2016 09:30AM

LET’S TALK SPRING BOBBERS – First off, hate them. Never put them on a rod I don’t have to. Having said that there are instances, such as long-stand-up-hole-hopping rods that you need that visual bite detection from a distance. Lots of options. What do YOU like and why, attach photos please……AND what some some different ways to attach them to the blanks?

See photo of samples, thanks, Buzz

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spring bobbers for ice rods
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2016 12:16PM

I currently don't use spring bobbers and won't use them in the future.

If I need a rod with a good visual strike indication, I use a blank that has at least 4 inches on the tip that is very soft and flexible so that the rod itself if the bite indicator or bobber - so to speak.

I only build on solid graphite or glass blanks so if that sort if tip is needed, I will just shape the blank as necessary to achieve that action on the blank.

Be safe

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2016 02:05PM

I understand that Roger. But customers who hole hop in very shallow water stand well back from the hole and put the tip of the rod just over the hole. They can be as much as 5 feet away and to find a 5 foot blank, with a tip as soft as a power noodle is difficult. Hence the need for a spring bobber. Do you know of such a blank?
Thanks
Buzz

Posted by: Gary Weber (---.241.113.253.4wbi.net)
Date: September 20, 2016 03:06PM

[htent.com] this is a link to some videos on spring bobbers. I have been using a spring bobber mounted on the side of the blank. It is mounted so that the eye of the spring bobber comes to the blank just before the tip guide. It works o.k., and can be bypassed so that you can just use the blank. I normally use a very light blank with red tip and gold line for my fishing, so the rod with the spring bobber isn't used very much.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 20, 2016 04:44PM

I hole hop a lot and use bright yellow ice line except for the last 12" which is floro. If it gets a loop or loses one, or moves in any way at all.....fish on. But, I have a pretty soft tip on my rod blanks too. If they are hitting aggressively they will bend it right over most of the time. Watch your electronics, when the line below the jig turns green and gets close, watch out.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 23, 2016 08:20AM

There are blanks listed by someone, somewhere that have the soft tips that work great. I just can't remember who sells them.

Here they are:

MICROLITE ICE ROD BLANKS, 31" LENGTH
MICROLITE ICE ROD BLANKS, 31" LENGTH
Microlite ice fishing rod blanks are designed with the panfish fisherman in mind. Microlite ice rod blanks are a solid graphite/fiberglass composite. The super sensitive tip measures only 2/64". To finish your ice rod, add handle, guides and our special microlite top. Rod blank is 31" long, black with blaze orange tip.
Order #: 920215
Availability: In Stock
$4.75 / EACH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2016 08:24AM by Bruce Tomaselli.

Posted by: Wade Dailey (---.iplwin75.metronetinc.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 03:40AM

Hey Bruce, are you selling those blanks? can I email you?

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: September 25, 2016 08:32AM

Wear, check Janns Netcraft. The 31" microlite is a standard around my shop and is always in my shanty.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (---.honcompany.com)
Date: October 31, 2016 03:27PM

34 and 48" extreme tapers from Sportsmans direct are great hole hoping rods with limber tips for visual strike detection...if not soft enough just sand them down further. spring bobbers change jigging action - sometimes for the worse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster