I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CP Durability
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 01:46PM

Hi to all and thanks for reading.
I am attempting to preserve the Garcia – Conolon decal and logo on this vintage rod. Following suggestions received from earlier post on this forum, I have coated the decals with CP and, fortunately, experienced no lifting of the decals and all looks very good. The original plan was to put a coat of thread epoxy over them, all the way around the blank, between two, additional trim bands. Everything looks good and original as is and was wondering if I could avoid the additional trim bands and epoxy. Is the CP durable enough as a coating by itself or does it require an additional finish over it? While I realize the epoxy coating would certainly be the best, I would rather leave the rod / decals looking more original if possible and practical.
Always appreciative of assistance from all of you.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CP Durability
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 19, 2016 01:55PM

CP is not terribly durable from the standpoint of resisting scratches, scrapes, etc.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 19, 2016 02:14PM

comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 12:07PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-37-187-147.eu)
Date: September 19, 2016 03:47PM

Once dry water based paint will not dissolve with water. I doubt CP will dissolve with water but will not hold up very well. It is too soft.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 04:23PM

Mark

CP's primary purpose is to preserve thread color. Yes, it is used for other purposes, such as an adhesive in addition to its primary if being a sealer. But ti will not well protect thread wraps or decals or inscriptions, etc. long-term. So, unless the restored rod will be a wall hanger, I'd put one or two thin coats of finish epoxy over the CP.

One of the hateful quandaries of breathing new life into a very old rod is just how true to the original do you desire the end product to be, especially so when today's available hardware, adhesives, techniques, etc. are superior to yesterday's. I'll start work on an old, "blue collar" fly rod next month, and am still debating whether or not to do a true restoration or to re-build the way the manufacturer might have built it originally had the manufacture had today's materials available not been constrained by the need to market the rod at a lower price point.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 04:45PM

Simply put, if you want the decal to survive, you have to coat it with wrap epoxy.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 06:50PM

It does not have to be wrap epoxy! Varnish. Perma Gloss or other urethanes will work as well. The original may have had a light coating of varnish.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2016 06:54PM

If you want to keep the shine down a satin finish may be appropriate.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 20, 2016 07:52AM

comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 12:07PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-102.net)
Date: September 20, 2016 09:38AM

I have not soaked it to see, because I do not soak my rods.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 21, 2016 11:13AM

I would not feel comfortable using it as a finish

Ron Weber

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 21, 2016 01:03PM

Thank you to all responding, even though not receiving the answer I hoped for. As anticipated, the decals will receive a coat of thread epoxy. One cannot argue with a unanimous opinion, especially from veterans like all of you.
Phil, from other similar posts, I am afraid to use PG or similar products because their “hot” nature.
Donald, my respect and passion for, along with desire to “breathing new life into a very old rod” seams to mirror your beliefs of these vintage beauties. There is something special about seeing, holding and, best yet, fishing a 60 year old FG Conolon or 100 year old bamboo Heddon rod, particularly if all original. While somewhat understandable most of these classics are delegated to display only, I prefer to see them fished as originally intended. Obviously, if in pristine condition, it should be left that way, not even epoxy to protect the frail wraps. If all the original decals, wraps and such are pretty much intact, the rod should be kept in that condition with any required repairs performed with circa materials as best possible, down to nitrocellulose finish. If guides are missing, modern replacements are suitable. But I love to take a neglected vintage rod with no identifying markings and resurrect it with modern components to experience the beauty and unmistakable feel of a vintage FG blank while utilizing advanced technologies. The only down side is having to answer so many questions from numerous inquiring people who see it, even allowing them to fish it. Amazing how quickly they develop the same respect.
Additional thanks to Tom, Ken, Michael, Spenser, John and Ron.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 25, 2016 12:15AM

When these rods were made, the finish that was used was some form of varnish. Such modern finishes such as epoxy or PermaGloss (urethane) had not been developed. Rod Dancer makes a water based Varnish that I have been experimenting with and I like the properties (so far). If you wish to renovate these vintage rods, you might want to try the Rod Dancer Product.

Mike Blomme

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster