I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Eternity 2 flippin blanks?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: September 17, 2016 05:29PM

Do any of you out there have any knowledge if Batson is going to bring to market a mod to mod fast flippin rod in the Eternity 2 lineup?

I will say that I have used a couple of the new swirl sanded blanks. They are hands down far better than anything else that I've yet used, and I've use a good many top tier blanks to include Northforks Hm's, IM's ( both superb blanks in their own right, especially the HM's) previous gen SCV's (don't have a new one to compare with as of yet) and even compared to the blue Eternity's there is NO comparison!!! Yes, I've used Point Blank, nice and light yet not even in the same league as the Eternity 2's, I would choose the Batson every day of the week over the Point Blank especially given the price points and the fact the Batson is not an import blank.

Have a great evening,

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Eternity 2 flippin blanks?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 17, 2016 06:36PM

Maybe I don't understand it that well, but why would there be a market for a very expensive, very hi mod, flippin blank? Good flippin can be served well at a much lower price point, can't it?

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2016 08:36PM

I don't have any knowledge as to whether or not Batson will be offering a flipping blank or not, but I love hearing that the Eternity2's are that extraordinary. It's going to make me feel a lot better about spending the money on a 610MXF for a new drop shot rod.

Date: September 18, 2016 10:32AM

Michael,
There is a market for an expensive blank as many people prefer to feel the bite and prefer the best product that they can for a given situation (if you notice I said Mod to Mod Fast NOT fast as most of the blanks on todays market are). The only ones that I am aware of right now are the St. Croix's and the Northforks, with the nod going to the Northfork. I am not sure if you ever held one of the Shikari SHX 764's in your hand but that is still in my mind probably the BEST flipping blank ever created. It was very light, very sensitive and durable enough when it was taken care of i.e. NOT ABUSED.

Just because it is labeled as a "Flippin Blank" doesn't amount to a hill of beans for me, it is that type of taper combined with the power offered in a blank of that style that many prefer for other situations and my use will indeed include "other" situations. Many still like cork and eva for grips, are they acceptable? Yes they are and even preferred for some situations, but I do feel that we have much better options out there i.e. carbon

To answer your question, Good flipping can indeed be served with a lower priced blank- think of the original BB1's, BB2's and 874's from Castaway, it is the Best? IMO NO and that is what has spawned my original question and IMO why custom builders exist.

David, their new SS models are wonderful blanks and I don't feel you will be disappointed in any blank that you choose from that line up.

Have a good one,
Tom

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2016 10:58AM

David Baylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't have any knowledge as to whether or not
> Batson will be offering a flipping blank or not,
> but I love hearing that the Eternity2's are that
> extraordinary. It's going to make me feel a lot
> better about spending the money on a 610MXF for a
> new drop shot rod.

I too am glad to hear a very positive report on the new Eternity 2 blanks. A couple of months back I accidentally dropped my Rainshadow RX8+ drop-shot rod into the water while placing it on the deck of the boat. I've tried for a couple of hours to hook it with grappling hooks with no luck. Although I did retrieve a 12# anchor and an old black tee shirt!

I am now looking for a replacement blank to build another D/S rod. I do believe I will spring for one of the new Eternity 2 blanks. I have always been very fond of the Rainshadow blanks and get nothing but outstanding service from Carol at Upmost.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 18, 2016 12:54PM

Thanks, Thomas, appreciate your comments.

Date: September 18, 2016 03:36PM

Michael,
you are welcome and I hope that I wasn't coming off as arrogant, just trying to explain.

Don, honestly, I was blown away as to how well the new blanks fished. I have the 72mSS and the 76mSS. I compared them to what I felt was the best that I could create and that benchmark was held by a Northfork HM MB705. Lets just say that I have a new benchmark now and they are cheaper than the Northforks, what more could a person ask for?

Tom

Date: September 19, 2016 11:09AM

Thomas,

Thank you for the info on the new Eternity 2 blanks. I had built a number of the older model Eternity 2 for clients and a bunch of the Immortals; but 'had tried one of the new Eternity 2's being built by NFC for Batson. I will definitely put one up to replace my drop shot rod sitting on the bottom of Lake Silverwood. What really makes it hurt is that it had a new Shamano Sustain reel on the rod! Ouch!

Don Campbell

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 20, 2016 02:43PM

As of right now there's not plans for Eternity Flippin' Stick, though that can always change if there's enough demand.

Have you looked at our Immortal Lineup?
They're great blanks, quite high end and incredibly sensitive. I personally use them for light applications.

There's two models that are designed for Flippin' applications, the IMMC76H and IMMC76XH
(Immortal are import blanks if that's a concern but like all RainShadow blanks designed in house and tested)

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: September 20, 2016 05:27PM

James,

I have ordered one of the Northforks for the meantime and will give the Immortals a look in the very near future. How would you rate their sensitivity as compared to the prior ETEC's (the blue ones?) I've heard a lot of positive reviews of them.

No the import thing is not a deal breaker. If I can support USA products I certainly will do so but also won't make that a limiting factor in my purchase.

Thanks for the information.

Tom

Date: September 21, 2016 11:29AM

Thomas Kaufmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> James,
>
> I have ordered one of the Northforks for the
> meantime and will give the Immortals a look in the
> very near future. How would you rate their
> sensitivity as compared to the prior ETEC's (the
> blue ones?) I've heard a lot of positive reviews
> of them.
>
> No the import thing is not a deal breaker. If I
> can support USA products I certainly will do so
> but also won't make that a limiting factor in my
> purchase.
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> Tom

Tom,

The Immortal blanks are outstanding. I have built both the ETEC 2's, (blue ones), and the Immortals and I have found the Immortal to be very close to the ETEC's when it comes to sensitivity. For one of my clients I built both an ETEC MH and an Immortal MH. He broke his Immortal on an over aggressive hook set, (he's a big guy and took a huge swing, snapping the rod into 4 pieces), He immediately had me build him another Immortal MH...says they are "killer" blanks.

Don Campbell

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: September 22, 2016 01:35PM

Like Don, I would say RainShadow Immortal lineup is barely a notch below Eternity’s in sensitivity and overall quality. They're a tad heavier but they're a bit more durable too. We definitely consider it a high end blank, but they're also great bang for the buck.

The NFC blanks are also awesome of course, sure you'll enjoy that one.

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2016 08:09AM

I'm in with the Immortal blanks are awesome crowd. I've built on two of them, an IMMC72MH (that broke during an unfortunate incident with a 40"+ musky) and an IMMC73ML that I built as a finesse casting rod. They are incredibly sensitive and responsive blanks.

The 72MH is a seriously powerful blank. I'll be building a replacement for the one mentioned earlier, over this off season. It is one bad mammy jammy.

Date: September 23, 2016 04:16PM

Thanks Guys
I will get one in and try it out.

Thanks,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster