I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gluing Fly Seats - assembly
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 11:38AM

Working on some fly rods and assembling the top fixed hood to the wood body, and had one break loose (before putting on the rod).

The top fixed hood does not have as much glue surface as the threaded barrel - any tips for gluing it more solid?

Any glue type preference - paste or liquid?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gluing Fly Seats - assembly
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 14, 2016 12:00PM

comment deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:00PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 05:23PM

Marc

Good advice from John P. Got to clean then scuff / rough up the hood interior and insert exterior to provide "tooth" for the adhesive.

if the hood is to be hidden (the grip is inlet to accept the hood leaving only a trim band visible), you will need to clean then scuff both the interior and exterior of the hood being very careful NOT to scuff the trim band. Glue sand paper to a dowel to make scuffing the inside of the hood and threaded barrel easier.

I have successively used both U-40 Rod Bond and ProPaste (the 15 minute version). No failures thus far, but I could be living a charmed life!

By the way, if you put the epoxy adhesive in the hood and barrel interiors only you will have less excess epoxy to clean up. Same for a hidden / inlet hood - apply adhesive to the interior of the grip inlet.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2016 05:41PM

Not too much "tooth." Epoxy bonds best to smooth surfaces, although they do need to be de-glossed to a water-break-free condition.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I prefer the gel/paste type epoxies for adhering reel seats to the rod blank, but any good 2-part epoxy will do. A more liquid type might be better for the small tolerances on your seat parts. Devon, Flex Coat, etc., will be fine.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 07:33PM

Metal parts often have some surface oils from machining or forming. This needs to cleaned off for a good bond, I use alcohol, then scuff.using sandpaper.

One of the problems I have found, is that some fishermen leave their rod sitting in hot sun, this then heats up the metal parts (especially bad with black or dark titanium metal) then when a fly reel gets a little loose they crank hard on the reel seat nut, which can break the softened epoxy bond on the threaded portion from a wood insert.

I have fished with some who's reel seat metal got so hot, it would almost blister you.

Posted by: John Ashburn (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 09:44PM

Marc

My response assumes that the reel seat hood you have is the type that gets inletted into the rear of the cork grip.

Your first step should be to cement the reel seat hood into the recess in the cork grip. This is done BEFORE the grip is cemented to the rod blank. I use U40 Rod Bond for this. There are other adhesives that will work but my preference is Rod Bond, and I have never had a bonding failure using it.

Secondly, cement the threaded barrell to the wood spacer. Again, I use Rod Bond for this. At this point I set both parts aside for the epoxy to harden.

Next, cement the wooden spacer and threaded barrell assembly to the rod blank. Scuff the rod blank surface where this assembly will sit with fine sandpaper so the cement will have a better gripping surface. Only scuff the surface. Do not sand through the blank finish. Again, I use Rod Bond for this. At this point I attach and cement the grip in place, but as a beginner you would probably do better if you allow the cement holding the wood spacer in place to harden before installing the grip.

Installation of the grip is pretty straightforward. Use Rod Bond as the adhesive. Again scuff up the rod blank finish under the area where the grip will sit. Apply Rod Bond to the blank area where the grip will sit, Put a small amount of Rod Bond inside of the metal reel seat hood where the wood spacer fits into it and slide the grip assembly up tight against the wooden reel seat insert. Use a twisting motion as you slide the grip into place to insure better distribution of the adhesive. At this point check to see if any epoxy has worked it's way into the reel seat hood area where the reel foot goes. If so clean it out. That's it! You should have a reel seat and grip assembly that is solid, stable, and will last for years.

Hope this helps.

John A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster