I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Buying Guides & getting bests prices
Posted by: Bill Theobald (---.15.51.148.res-cmts.kng.ptd.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 02:53PM

I'm new to rod building and want to build a few surf rods. I'm fairly certain I want to use Fuji KW & KL & KTs. I was wondering if you folks buys the guides as you need them for a specific rod or buy a bunch to have on hand for future builds. I will only be building rods for myself so I don't want to amass a huge supply / inventory of guides.

Does it make sense to buy extra guides now so I have them on hand for future builds. I started putting an order together for all of the components and was shocked when I saw the total, almost a grand. I was wondering if I called to place an order would I be abnle to get a discount? What has your experience been in getting discounts from suppliers. I saw one supplier with a 10% discount for new customers.

Also was wondering if other suppliers would offer other discount codes if I reached out to them.

I should also say that I'm not in a rush to build the rods so I could wait for a sale I assume they have holiday sales and deals between now and the wimter.

Thanks in advance for your help & guidance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2016 02:55PM by Bill Theobald.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying Guides & getting bests prices
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 11, 2016 03:22PM

I would perhaps buy only what I needed for my first few rods and once I got a feel for the type rods I was going to be working with would then consider stocking a bit deeper on guides that you seem to be using frequently.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 08:37PM

A lot of the sponsors to the left will "kit" you out a rod with everything you need for the build, you save a bit usually, you know all the components are right and will fit for the build, and you save a bit on shipping and handling if everything comes from the same place.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: September 11, 2016 10:12PM

If you are new to building, try looking at a set of American Tackle MicroWave 50's or MicroWave 30's for your surf rod build. Follow the layout directions given with the set, and things are made easy. Good Luck with your build.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 11:23PM

Bill, If you want to save some money, unhide your email.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Bill Theobald (104.129.194.---)
Date: September 12, 2016 08:35AM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill, If you want to save some money, unhide your
> email.

Dennis & everyone,

Thanks for the tips.

Bill

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 12, 2016 10:00AM

comment deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 03:59PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 14, 2016 08:06PM

Bill,
Also being new to rod building, there may be those who may believe I am not as qualified as the veterans to respond. I cannot afford a grand to stock up and besides, I am a self admitted cheap bast!@*. I certainly agree with Tom. Additionally, because you are new, building up an inventory with the guides you like today and think you will also use later may restrict future guide choice decisions. I agree with you and am partial to Fuji in general, KW’s in particular, but I sure am curious about those MicroWaves.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 15, 2016 12:29PM

comment deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 03:59PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Bill Theobald (104.129.194.---)
Date: September 15, 2016 01:11PM

Thanks for all of the guidance, truly appreciate it. I have built one rod before but in the grand scheme of things I'm a complete noobie. I have been visiting this forum (and others) absorbing information like a sponge. Admittedly, I do suffer from OCD like a few of you guys. I have read Tom's Book as well as Dale Clemmons.

I was only going to buy a few extras so I would have maybe 1 or 2 extra of the larger size reduction guides and a few extra of the running size guides, (10 & 8). I usually use 30 # braid and 40# leader of 36" so it doesn't need to pass through the tip top and or guides.

in terms of materials I was thinking of getting the above guides (KW & KL, KT) in Gunsmoke with a SIC insert. For the tip tops I was going to try and get titanium tips as I think they get the most abuse, at least in my case. Do you guys think that is that over kill. Presently most of my surf rods are factory builds.

I'm not looking for any crazy discounts, just don't want to pay bust out retail. At this point I'm willing to wait for the potential of a holiday sale or other special offerings in the next few months. I know I can at least get a 10% discount simply by having a family member wife create a new account at MudHole as a new customer and get the 10% discount. It is after all their landing page when you go to their website. Just wanted to see if there were other ways of avoiding retail.

By the way only about 50% of the total was guides the balance was misc items, reel seats, shrink wrap, arbors and even some thread.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2016 03:47PM

Bill,
For about 80% of all fishing, the use of a stainless guide and tip will hold up just fine with no grooving or other problems.

For the other 20%, the use of an alconite or other midlevel guide will hold up just fine with no issues.

I do agree with the other posts that it is not necessarily a good idea to have a huge number of guides on hand, when you only think you may ever build a couple of rods.

Even if you decide to build more rods, it is quick and easy to order guides and other hardware as needed. Over the years, there have been huge changes happen in the hardware used on fishing rods. You don't want to be one of those folks with $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ tied up in hardware that will never find a home on a fishing rod and will end up going to the great landfill without ever serving any useful purpose except to remove money from your bank account.

But, if you are building a rod or two or three and know the guides that you want to use, but aren't sure of sizes or quantities, it is better to order a "few" extra - just so that you have enough to successfully complete your current builds.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster