I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Recent article you may like...
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 12:56PM

If you'd like to see a variety of newsletter subjects you can subscribe to our email at info@anglersresource.net subject line "newsletter"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2016 04:11PM by Jim Ising.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent article you may like...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2016 01:53PM

I would like the mention that the blank support distance for the CCS measurements is 10% of the rod's total length. Also, the "RDA" was taken from the Big Picture component of the CCS.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 02:40PM

Thanks Tom, my objective was to point out the value of developing a database using a consistent method (whatever it may be) to compare one blank to another.

Date: September 08, 2016 03:49PM

But that's the problem with RDA - it doesn't provide relative results because it doesn't use a consistent support standard.

The CCS provides this by standardizing both the forward support point and the deflection amount based on a percentage of total blank length.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 06:51PM

I just tested a 7 foot blank at both the 10% support length of 8.4 inches and 9.4 inches and found no difference. I realize that a standard method is recommended, but for blanks between 6' 6" and 7' 6", how much error is expected between supports of 7.8 and 9.0? In other words, what does the data show for testing a 7 foot blank at + or - 1 inch of 8.4? 5% difference? 10%? In which direction for power and AA?

Date: September 10, 2016 09:40PM

The greater the deviation the greater the error. The idea that "it won't matter that much" is what separates scientific systems from other "systems." By the way, the 10% is not a "recommendation," it's a specific standard as set by the CCS if you want accurate readings per that system.

Considering that setting up at 10% isn't any harder than setting up at any other setting, why not set up at the system's required standard?

Date: September 11, 2016 07:48AM

I don't have the room for a CCS rig that uses a 4 x 8 sheet of pegboard, so setting up at 10% for various blank lengths does cause some inconvenience with my rig. I understand that 10% is the "holy grail," but was interested in what you thought about the magnitude of the error if a 10% deviation to the 10% standard were used. If the expected error were to be less than the variation in blanks then it would be a minor deviation. If larger than the possible blank variation it would make more sense to take on the inconvenience with every measurement.l I found that I could not find the difference in the one time I checked, but was interested if you had data on the expected error.

Date: September 11, 2016 08:07AM

Deviating from either the support or the deflection distance constants means you are not going to get accurate readings. Putting the forward support point somewhere other than the prescribed 10% distance means your results are simply not as accurate as they would otherwise be, and therefore not relative to any other actual CCS measurements. It doesn't matter if it's the CCS, or a tape measure, a scale, etc., if they're not used accurately the results won't be accurate nor relative.

You don't need a pegboard to use the CCS. You can do it with a tape measure - you only have to measure the difference between the starting level point to the amount of deflection. Therefore if you have room for the blank, you have room to use the CCS accurately.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.web-ringo.ru)
Date: September 11, 2016 08:52AM

Here's something to think about. Suppose you buy a blank that the manufacturer has listed as being 72 inches in length. You take it out of the bag and measure it and find that it is only 70 inches long. Would you be upset? After all, that is only a 3% error. How much difference can 3% really make?

I cannot see the wisdom in arguing for doing something incorrectly when it takes no more time to do it correctly.

Date: September 11, 2016 11:48AM

Good point, Mike. However, as I said, it DOES take more time on my rig to change the anchor lengths. Also , length and CCS numbers are two different things, and I expect that the variation in length of blanks is probably on the order of 1/16 or 1/8 inch , less than 1/100 %, if I got my decimal right. Very very small. I expect the variation in blank power numbers is on the order of 5%, an entirely different ball game. Maybe a manufacturer or someone with a lot of data can shed light on this.

I'm being told specifically that ANY deviation from the support constants means I am not getting accurate readings, and I'd like to know how inaccurate they are. Everyone states the obvious, that it is better to do it according to the recipe, AND I AGREE, but no one seems to have any data on the consequences of a fairly small deviation from the constant. Or are unwilling to share their data.

Think of it this way, I'm making a gallon batch of chile and the recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of something. I only have 7/32 on hand. Will the chile be ruined if I don't inconveniently run to the store for that 1/32 teaspoon of an ingredient? Will the chile be ruined?

Yes I know I don't need pegboard, and I also know that I have correlated quite well with the manufacturer numbers on at least 5 blanks. Without pegboard it is definitely more difficult to make accurate deflection measurements, but it can be done. But that in itself is a compromise to the specs of CCS.

Date: September 11, 2016 12:19PM

Since there is no benefit in setting up incorrectly, it's doubtful any such data exists. If you want that data, you'll have to run the different set ups and record the differences for yourself.

Any deviation will result in less than accurate results. If you don't believe this, set up your forward support point at the mid-point of the rod blank and run the numbers. Now move it back to the prescribed 10% constant and run them again. There will be a huge difference. The greater the deviation, the greater the error. The less the deviation the less the error, but any deviation will result in some amount of error.

Take a length of 1-inch PVC pole and make inch marks on it. That's all you need for the deflection distance recordings. Costs next to nothing and stores in a corner out of the way.

Date: September 11, 2016 02:28PM

Tom, there is "some error" in any measurement.

I have a PVC pole with inch marks on it. I'm surprised you don't mention that any deviation in height in the distance between that pole and your mount will affect the reading, as in a floor that is not pure horizontal. With pegboard it's easy to level the board to eliminate that possible error. And no mention of the effect of spine or blanks that are not straight.

I'm not arguing that the position of the support has nothing to do with accuracy. I never said that I did. Your suggestion of setting up in the middle of the blank is nothing close to what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a 10% deviation to a dimension of 8.4 inches for a 7 foot rod, or .84 inches. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid, so never mind about setting up in the middle of the blank.

I have 5 blanks that measure between 6' 9 ' and 9 feet that correlate well with the manufacturer, all taken with supports at 9 inches, if I remember right. I have taken data once with a 7 foot rod with the mounts at two different positions an inch apart , one position being the recommended position, once and found no difference, will do it on more blanks as I measure them. If I find significant error, I'll report back.

I never was arguing against the scientific method; I was only trying to see if someone knew the sensitivity of mounting distance to the results. I'll take care of it.

Date: September 11, 2016 03:21PM

Yes there is always some error, which is why I said the greater the deviation the greater the error. If done correctly, however, the error in this case will be infinitesimal.

My point about using the mid-point was to serve to indicate that yes, there will be a difference if you use something other than the specified support constant. It illustrates that the further you are from the specified the constant, the greater the error. The closer you are then the less the error. And again, if you adhere to the specified constant, any error will be infinitesimal.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 04:16PM

I tried very hard to see how Jim's post concerning newsletter topics led to a discussion about CCS. I saw no topic at angler's resource concerning CCS or RDA measurements. I know point blanks reference these measurement but saw no information on how they were performed. Please let us know what going on here, I am sort of confused how this discussion started, and I'm sure others are also. Thanks Jim, there is a lot of good information at Angler's Resource.
Norm

Date: September 11, 2016 04:25PM

If you go to the link Jim listed and take a moment to read it, you will see the RDA (CCS Big Picture) and CCS mentioned.

Date: September 11, 2016 04:53PM

I went to the link Jim posted and all I get is an e-mail link to sign up for the news letter, nothing else. I have gone to angler's resource site and looked everywhere on the site concerning CCS and RDA and nothing. I am using an I-pad for this, so maybe not getting to the right site. Please paste in the site so I can see what's going on. Thanks
Norm

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 04:55PM

Hello Tom

Jim has changed something, all I get clicking on his mailto:[email protected] is an E-Mail set-up.
I don't get anything like you are talking about!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 11, 2016 05:30PM

Date: September 11, 2016 05:38PM

Evidently he removed the link which went to an earlier topic from their newsletter.

Date: September 11, 2016 05:51PM

Mike, I have seen the point blank info before, but nothing there concerning how the measurements were taken. Still confused!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster