I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternative to painting a rod blank?
Posted by: gervais sharp (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 12:15PM

Instead of painting a rod blank, could you wrap the blank between guides with a solid color vinyl wrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternative to painting a rod blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2016 12:27PM

You could, but it would add a lot of weight compared to a proper refinish job and would be doubtful to hold up very well over time. Of course that also depends on the type use and care it receives.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 04:43PM

The lightest thing to do, is to strip the finish from the blank and leave the blank in a polished unfinished finish state.

Be safe

Date: September 10, 2016 05:48PM

I have found a rod I want to duplicate. I want to build a whole set like it. It has a painted blank. I am just scared to paint, I know nothing about it. I hate to put a lot of time and money into something and it not come out right.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 10, 2016 06:43PM

A vinyl wrap does not sound like a good idea. If you are going to build a whole set of matching rods then buy painted blanks to start with. Rod Geeks will paint them in almost any color you want. The next viable alternative is to strip down the blank and paint it with the color you like. It is not that hard to do. There are a number of good spray paints out there that will do a good job. Do a search of this forum about painting rods, and you will learn a lot. The last issue of Rod Maker magazine had an article concerning the use of a two part spray urethane called Sray Max 2K that can be used as a clear topcoat. I have not used the stuff yet but it seems to be easy to use and the results look extremely good. Another option that you could try is to have an auto paint shop paint your blanks for you. I have not done this but some guys here have with good results. Hope this helps.
Norm

Date: September 10, 2016 06:52PM

Thanks Norman, but Rod Geeks painted blanks aren't quite stout enough. I need some blanks in the 130# class. Thanks for the other info, I'll look into it

Date: September 10, 2016 07:35PM

Did not know they were 130# class, going to be hard to find them with a custom paint job! I guess you paint them or have an auto paint shop do it for you. I have heard that auto bumper paint works well because it is extremely flexible. I have had good luck with krylon fusion and duplicolor auto paint clear top coated with permagloss Some others here may give you some tips on what to do. But I think a good spray paint topped off with the clear spray max 2K may be the way to go. I am not sure what an auto paint shop would charge, but you can check around.
Norm

Date: September 11, 2016 09:17AM

Thanks again. There are a few body shops around. I'll probably ride by and see what they say. Maybe I can swap out a fishing trip or two

Date: September 11, 2016 11:42AM

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Norm

Date: September 11, 2016 12:37PM

Will do!

Posted by: David Ball (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2016 08:59PM

Sand, primer, spray can of duplicolor, allow it to cure, then a quick coat of permagloss.

Date: September 18, 2016 09:53PM

I get it David, but I'm trying to go with a specific color and it isn't in any spray can that would work. I appreciate all the feedback.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2016 11:20AM

If you have a compressor and air brush this may help if you can find the color you want

[www.klasskote.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster