I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with spinning rod guides
Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: September 07, 2016 05:28PM

Whats up all,

I rarely build any spinning rods for the salt, but Im gonna put one together for a buddy. I already have an RCLB79L picked out for the blank, and he's going to fish multipurpose saltwater for it on the west coast. Question I have is, what size stripper you guys use, and what guides to use in general. I figure the running guides will be the same BLNAGs I usually use, but was hoping to get some inside for the larger strippers, alconite preferred but I'm open for suggestions. Using a 5000 size reel.

Thanks guys!
Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with spinning rod guides
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2016 08:22PM

Nick,
I am also partial to Fuji guides in general and KWs in particular with their sloped rings. The Rainshadow rods are well liked by just about everyone on this site. But with any 30lb+ rod, I would think you should consider moving up to the MNs just because. I am curious what others will suggest for sizing also as I will be wrapping a similar set up in the near future. All these new concepts are a lot to decipher for this 63 year old wrapping newbie!

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 07, 2016 09:50PM

The largest guide size will be dictated by reel spool diameter and the smallest by any knots that may need to pass through guide train. Type of line is also a factor.

A single foot guide will be strong enough (for the fish) but a double foot guide will withstand more abuse.

I have used BYAG's going to BLAG's without problems. MSNG's are really overkill for that blank but certainly a time proven choice.

I think the 316 stainless guides are a good choice when longer fishing trips prevent frequent rinsing of the salt water (I have Virtus lights on my RCLBXXML rod).

Figure a 30-40mm going down to 6-8 running guides (maybe 10's if it needs to pass bimini twist/shock leader stuff).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: September 07, 2016 10:00PM

Use a set of the MicroWave 30's on it

Ron Weber

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 07:19AM

Check out minima 4 guides. #30 stripper guide and #8 running guides is what I would use. The guides you use between them is up to you. I agree with russ. It's best to use larger running guides to pass knots. Good luck

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 09:13AM

I have to agree with Ron on this one....

The MicroWave 30's are available in SS and TidalWave..... Now available with single or double foot running guides.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 09:51AM

Braid or mono? # test?

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: September 08, 2016 03:16PM

MicroWave guides is size 30 would fit the bill very well, and they hold up.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 08, 2016 10:33PM

If you are using braid (or up to 17-20# mono) try a KR concept build. Use Fuji dbl ft KW guides in sizes 30, 20, and 10 as stripper and reduction guides. These would be followed by single ft Fuji KT or double ft KW guides (size, 8, 7, or 6 your choice) with a matching MN tip top; any of these sizes should pass just about any knot you will use. All of these guides come in alconite. This layout should work well with a 5000 size reel. The stripper would be some where between 20-24 inches from the tip of the reel spool, and the first running guide (choke guide) would be approximately 22-26" from the stripper. The KR concept really works quite well. Make sure you test cast to optimize guide placement.
Norm

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: September 09, 2016 02:33AM

Probably braid, 40#. I ended up ordering the KWs for a 30 stripper, 3 guide reduction, and size 7 runners. This guy is a brute and I decided to keep to the double foots for the user durability, though personally I would have been comfortable with single foot guides. You guys rock, I'm gonna play around with this one for a bit. Heavy spinning is a little outside my comfort zone. Guess its time to get comfy! I want to play around with the Microwaves on the next go around.

Mark, Russell, Ron, Mike, Don, Jim, Randy, and Norm. Thank you.

Nick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster