I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch rod blank for single hand fly rod
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.wellington.ca)
Date: August 29, 2016 11:44AM

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has used a switch rod blank for a single hand rod? I realize that switch rods are technically designed to be cast with both or a single hand, but they are usually build in a two hand style - and I guess with single handed casting only done occasionally.

I have a 10'8" blank I was going to use for steelhead. At this point 90% of my fishing is with an nymph/indicator + nymph set-up in faster water. My other switch rod is build in a two handed configuration but I find the longer butt section a bit of a pain when manipulating the drift. Especially since there are lots of quick, repetitive short casts. Since I'm not doing any two handed casts - just a single hand roll cast - I don't see the advantage of a two hand set-up.

I thought to build this rod as a single handed rod to see if it was easier to fish with but wanted to see if anyone has tried it first.

thanks
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch rod blank for single hand fly rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 01:20PM

YES, I have built a number of switch rod blanks in a single hand configuration. In almost all cases they are for nymph fishing. The longer rod is great for mending.

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.sub-70-210-230.myvzw.com)
Date: August 29, 2016 01:43PM

I've done it too and a switch blank can work well as a single hand nymphing rod, I find it helps if it's a slower action blank.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.wellington.ca)
Date: August 29, 2016 03:14PM

Thanks guys. I'm happy to hear of your experiences. I was worried the longer blank would be a bit cumbersome but hoped that balancing it correctly with the right reel would help.

Also, the blank I have is a medium fast action so it should fit the bill well.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 11:17PM

A switch rod is not designed to be casted T/H or S/H. It is designed to be casted Overhead or Anchor Point (Spey).
A "proper" switch blank has a much more powerful tip than a blank designed for S/H casting. The S/H blank is much faster. The switch blank feels softer because the powerful tip loads the mid section.
A blank designed as a nymphing rod should be relatively stiff - like a very fast actioned blank. IMO a switch blank is not suitable as a nymphing rod.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 30, 2016 04:55PM

I'm in need of a little clarification here. I was under the impression that the reason for the "switch" designation was because you could use either T/H or S/H?

Is it a case of technically you could cast with S/H but in no way does it match a proper S/H rod?

Date: August 30, 2016 06:03PM

Tom,
As I said - a switch rod was designed to cast either "overhead" with two hands - or anchor point with two hands. An overhead cast is very similar to the SH cast - but done with an upper hand and lower hand on the upper grip and lower grip respectively. I have seen people casting SH with a switch rod and, to me, it looks ridiculous. But - hey - to each his own. But it is not how nor why the rod was designed. Think about it - why build a rod to be single handed with a 4-5" rear grip. What would be the purpose to "switch" back and forth between SH and TH? If you want a 10' or 10'6" or 11'0" rod to be casted SH - then build it without the lower grip.

Besides a lot of 11'0" switch rods, I have built 12'0" and 13'6" rods on switch blanks. Try to cast those as a SH rod.
It's a lot like language - the proper term for a ship, company, etc in trouble is "founder". How many times do you hear "flounder". After a while the term sticks. It is probably in dictionaries now.

A switch rod has a particular and specialized action. i.e. a powerful tip and a firm butt. It will load into the mid-section easily to perform both OH and Spey casts.

YES to your last question
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 06:04PM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 30, 2016 07:12PM

Technically Herb may be correct, but I and many others are building them with a single hand setup (no rear grip) for clients who wish to use them for nymph fishing. For my clients they must be working out OK, as I have repeat orders for other weights and orders from friends who have tried their rods and now want one. There is a trend of going to longer rods for nymph fishing, both due to mending enhancement as well as Czech style. The Switch rod blank may be a compromise............................but it works !!

Best to remember that a blank has no idea what is is built for, example many builders using fly rod blanks to build spinning outfits.

Date: August 30, 2016 07:33PM

There is no need to compromise when wanting a longer rod.
The CTS Affinity-X, which is perfect for nymphing, can be had in up to 12'0". It's light an very fast - which is a requirement for successful nymphing.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: August 30, 2016 07:43PM

Herb and Phil, thanks for the additional comments.

For me, the compromise is my wallet - a CTS blank sounds nice but the budget doesn't allow it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Tom.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.36.---)
Date: August 31, 2016 11:27AM

Tom,
What length butt grip are using? Mine is 3 1/2 inches long, and the foregrip is 10 1/2" long, haven't had interference issues with them on my switch rods.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (173.239.182.---)
Date: August 31, 2016 04:36PM

Hi Spencer

The butt grip is just over 4" but the reel seat threads add another inch or so. I found the butt section would always catch on my wading jacket pockets when moving the rod from a lower position to high sticking.

Maybe I'm keeping my arms too close to my sides while fishing - but so much of my casting is short distances and essentially lobbing the rig for short drifts I wanted to try something different to see if it made a difference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster