I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

strongest tip top? whats your favorite?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 28, 2016 04:29PM

I am in need of a stronger tip top for my builds. I generally use Fuji's as this is what most of the rods that come in for repair have on them already. They seem to have a very high failure rate of the rings popping out. I mostly use the alconites but have tried others of theirs as well with the same results.

On my builds I like to use the Kigan's as well as the Alps and haven't had a problem with them. I build micro so all of my tips on my builds are micro as well.

In a size 6 ring what do you find to be the strongest regarding ring popout?

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: strongest tip top? whats your favorite?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2016 07:09PM

I don't know about the Kigan guides, but the tip tops with recessed rings like the Alps guides have been very reliable for me.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 29, 2016 10:55AM

Thomas,

I also use Fuji aconite micro guides and 'have had several clients bring their rod back for tip top replacement after the ring popped out. I told them to stop winding their tungsten bullet weights right up against the tip top on TX rigs, as it impacts the ring and eventually will break it or pop it out.

A rod building buddy of mine swears by AMT ring lock guides for durability. I haven't given them a try as I am pretty partial to Fuji guide.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2016 10:56AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 11:02AM

Depending on which guides are used;

First choice are Fuji sic tips.

Second choice are the Pac Bay minima 4 tips.

John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 29, 2016 11:23AM

Like Don said User error None of them are indestructible and will break with abuse

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 29, 2016 02:59PM

Hi Guys,

I know the failure is from user error, they hold the line and slingshot the rod down to the hang up point to free the lure. I can't get it in their thick heads it is their fault for using the rod as a lure knocker and not the fault of the tip top. Somehow it is not computing to them 3.00 for a lure is far cheaper than a new tiptop or even worse a whole new build because they are stubborn. Yes some of these are the "stubborn old goats", I've referred to in the past. I know that I am asking a lot here but was just wondering what the consensus is?

I am just going to order up some of the Alps and Kigans and see what I come up with.

Thanks again
Tom

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 01, 2016 05:35AM

Pac Bay Minima's are tough to beat for durability.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 04, 2016 11:12AM

Tom,Are you doing the repairs for free?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: September 05, 2016 08:37PM

Dennis,
No I do charge for the repair and I see where you are going with it. Yes, it is a great opportunity for me to make money but if I can get them something that they only break a few times a year vice about every month or so I am sure that they would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster