I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Walleye blank report- Elliott SJ 7' L-F
Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2016 08:44PM

I fished the incredibly light (1.7 ounce) Elliott SJ 7' L-F [getrodblanks.com] extensively on a recent walleye trip. This blank did an outstanding job using 4 specific tactics for walleye fishing making this blank an excellent choice for a walleye angler who doesn't carry many rods but uses many tactics.

During this trip we found walleye in what I would describe as typical walleye haunts on shield lakes in August. That being wind blown points and shorelines with steep breaks in the wind. We found walleye from 16-34 feet deep with the best bite being in 28-34 feet. We vertical jigged these fish and the Elliott SJ 7' L-F was super fun to fish with and effectively hooked fish in deep water in a windy condition.

On day 2 two of this trip we faced a blue bird sky and not a lick of wind. In the morning we hit a few reefs with the vertical presentation but what really set this day apart was the snap jig bite in the weeds. We found walleye to be really aggressive chomping 5 inch swim baits in a big weedy bay in about 7-10 feet of water. We covered water super fast making very long distance casts and snapping the jig back to the boat with the jig almost never touching the bottom. If you've never fished walleye like this it's completely different than vertical jigging and a off the charts fun!

What does a fella do after the bite slows down? Well we split the tactics. Angler one using a long line live bait rig tipped with a crawler and angler 2 casting a small minnow shaped crankbait outside of a current area. We caught walleye on both tactics and the Elliott SJ 7 did the job effectively.

I fully recommend this blank for two main reasons: Versatility and fun. This blank will also work well as a drop shot rod and you can certainly fish this blank for other species including all members of the bass family. Consider building a rod on the Elliott SJ 7' L-F [getrodblanks.com]. I guarantee you're gonna love it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Walleye blank report- Elliott SJ 7' L-F
Posted by: Pete Riola- Getrodblanks.com (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2016 01:05PM

I'm not sure if responding to your own thread is cool but I thought I'd add that I fished the Elliott SJ 7' L-F for largemouth and smallmouth bass on a super clear lake in Northern Wisconsin the last few days. Super clear water and next to no wind meant I had to make super long casts.so I chose to use the SJ 7' for the chore. I was dead sticking sink worms in 15-16 feet and the SJ 7' could cast that rig a country mile. I caught fish to 19 inches and had no problem landing them on this way too much fun blank!

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster