I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Exposed blank spinning seat
Posted by: David Moore (---.heartlandrvs.com)
Date: August 22, 2016 09:15AM

My Berkley rod has a Minima-style reel seat front and a threaded cork rear seat. I know I am probably not saying that correctly, but the idea is that to lock the reel into the seat, you turn the cork handle that is at the rear of the seat. Does anyone know which company(ies) have those for sale to the public? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Exposed blank spinning seat
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2016 11:20AM

You could use the Fuji HPS hidden thread hood, it can be used in the up locking or down locking position. You can buy preformed cork grip to fit the hood or build your own. If you get the minima spin seat just replace it's hood with the HPS hood, it fits fine.
Norm

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2016 11:22AM

David,

I believe some of the Fuji reel seat can be switched around and modified to be an up-locking rear with seat enclosed rear grip, (if that makes sense). Take a look at the Fuji KDPS 16 or KPDS 17 hidden thread locking nuts for an idea. Perhaps they might work. The rear grip would have to be reamed out to accept the KDPS tube

I've not seen any reel seat available to us custom builders; but I really like the idea.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2016 11:35AM

David,

Also one word of caution, With the up locking reel seat and exposed blank reel seat, it is advisable to tell the user not to over tighten the reel seat as it puts a tremendous load on the front portion of the reel seat which has a smaller contact area with the blank. Over tightening the reel seat can cause the epoxy to be sheared from the blank.

I have one customer who has the nervous habit of constantly tightening the locking nut on his drop shop rod while fishing. This has resulted in the front portion of the split reel seat to break loose two times. I've repair it for him twice and asked that he not over tighten the reel seat. He admitted that he is not aware that he does it while fishing!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2016 12:17PM

I should have mentioned that the fixed hood part of the minima spin reel seat or the Alps split spin reel seat will require a short fore grip because of the way they're designed. Could use the spinning SK2 fixed reel seat hood as an option. The SK2 fixed hood will need a bushing, the same as the threaded barrel. You will also need winding checks to fit both the blank diameter and the size 16 or 17 SK2 hood and one side of the threaded barrel to give a finished look. I do not know of any manufacturer that sells a reel seat with a fixed hood like that on the Berkley rod you show.
Norm

Posted by: David Moore (---.heartlandrvs.com)
Date: August 23, 2016 10:38AM

From Mudhole, I have ordered a Fuji SK2 front casting seat that I will cut "in half" and flip around 180 degrees to use as a front spinning seat. Then, HPS and thread barrel for SK2 grip with cork FGH "foregrip" turned to tighten from back-to-front. I do not need to worry about a front stop as the reel foot will act as the stop. Add a fighting butt and I am all set. I will post photos when it is completed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster