I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U of Michigan Maize Yellow
Posted by: Ed Grella (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 21, 2016 11:29AM

Has anyone found a perfect color match om UM maize yellow in a NCP type thread? In my experience, on-line color charts do vary slightly from true thread color.
Thanks, Ed

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U of Michigan Maize Yellow
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.10.---)
Date: August 21, 2016 05:08PM

[www.umflint.edu] This site gives the colors that UM has agreed for all products using the UM colors.

The pro wrap taxi yellow is close. You most likely, especially with color fast thread, will not find an "exact match". Pro Wrap's cobalt is a few shades lighter than UM blue, but you should be able to find a deeper blue from someone.

I do believe, however that just coming close will do just fine. there is no guarantee that other decals you buy will be true to the UM specs, either.

To do it right, find a thread source who will specify the CMYK or Pantone specs on the site above. I think your best bet is to go to a sewing shop and look over their threads. They may even give CMYK specs or Pantone numbers. But you will need CP to not only hold the color but to suppress the effects of any silicone lube on the threads.

If your blank is dark, you must be very careful to wrap tightly and compress the wraps carefully to prevent blank color from showing through. Or paint the blank yellow under the yellow wraps. It can be pretty tough to get a good wrap of a light color on a dark blank.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 21, 2016 08:05PM

First I don't use any NCP thread at all, I just don't care for the painted on look, Just my preference, I prefer IF needed, To airbrush the blank a lighter color under the wrap to make my colors POP if needed. And I just use standard thread with or without CP. My old U of M go to was the Rice branded thread, I believe it was the closest to maze you could get! It was #104 Gold, As it's a bit brighter yellow, I doesn't look gold at all? But that is pretty much unobtainable, I have yet to find anymore Rice. Like Mike said I would put my money on ProWrap #119 Taxi-cab that looks real close! , However I don't have any to confirm that 100%? Fuji ultra poly is great thread just way too limited in color choices at this time. The problem is everyone perceives colors differently, And you really need to look at it under natural light outdoors. AS Mike Suggested If you have a Jo-Anns fabrics around you, You might look there for some {poly} embroidery thread that would be closer in color as It comes in a million colors and various shades of each, If you have a UM sample to compare with. But it is not NCP. Good Luck and enjoy yourself. Jaa

Date: August 21, 2016 09:43PM

Thanks for the great advice! i will visit a Jo-Anns this week. Next to my sons UM Nike tee shirt, Fuji #13 looks really close on my screen.

Date: August 22, 2016 03:29AM

Well I' couldn't sleep well tonight, That happens a lot more as I get older. And did a bit of research as I love History the state of Michigan is rich in history in general and such. Anyway, It looks like U of M actually has 2 sets of school colors. number # 1 would be the Official school colors, And # 2 would be the Athletic colors, Never new That! Here is a small bit to read. [web.archive.org]. That could explain why some U of M colors look more pale and some more Bold than others? So heck I even learned something tonight, Thanks! Ed. Jaa

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 22, 2016 11:56AM

Wrap it in Sparty Green and white. It won't match but it will be SO much better. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Date: August 22, 2016 06:42PM

If you don't use CP then you might as well give up on ever matching any colors with new work. Either CP or NCP thread is necessary for matching. The changes that occur to thread color without CP or NCP thread are just too unpredictable. And most of the time, too translucent. I love the look of not using CP in many cases, but to try to match colors without it is just not going to happen.

Date: August 22, 2016 06:47PM

Jay, your info from 1996 is obsolete UM has one set of colors now. As in my first post. But I still go back to the argument that it really won't matter than much, just get the best colors you can get, and go with them. It will look fine. With a block M decal, or other obvious UM clue, it will come together nicely. Go Blue. (From a UM grad who makes an MSU theme rod for a local educational charity annually. Not because it is more attractive, but because it gets higher bids in Spartan country.)

Posted by: Eric Hanson (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2016 08:09PM

Color Search program has the closest color as Madeira Lemonade 1735

Date: August 22, 2016 08:34PM

Eric, can you give me a site and tell me how the Color Search program works?

Date: August 22, 2016 08:51PM

Michael,

Sent you an email with link to program.

The program works by searching thru the available thread mfg's color and compares it to the color you want to match. You can enter in your color by RGB, HTML color, Pantone, screen capture or another thread.

Thread mfg's on file are Gudebrod, Prowrap, Fishhawk, PacBay and Madeira.

Very useful when trying to match team colors or trying to find out what matches a screen capture color best.

Date: August 23, 2016 12:22PM

Eric, would you try my email again? It may have gone to spam and I may have deleted it without recognizing it. It sounds like a very valuable program for doing what I've been trying to do manually. thanks, Mick

Date: August 23, 2016 12:24PM

Found it in deleted spam, restored it, so no need to resend. Thanks, Mick

Date: August 23, 2016 11:35PM

Guys,
Thank you very much. I do agree on CP. I have had issues with color shifting in the past with out CP. Eric, if you don't mind, would you please send me the link to the site?
Thanks again.
Ed
GO BLUE!!

Date: August 24, 2016 01:47AM

Eric Hanson Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------

> Sent you an email with link to program.
>
> The program works by searching thru the available
> thread mfg's color and compares it to the color
> you want to match. You can enter in your color by
> RGB, HTML color, Pantone, screen capture or
> another thread.
Eric, Curious as to why you don't post a link? I have seen the color match guide from Madeira, But that does not cover the other thread brands mentioned. Jaa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2016 01:51AM by Jay Dubay.

Date: August 24, 2016 09:29PM

Jay Dubay Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Eric,
> Curious as to why you don't post a link? I have
> seen the color match guide from Madeira, But that
> does not cover the other thread brands mentioned.
> Jaa

Wasn't sure I was allowed to post the link since they are non-sponsoring...per the rules "You may post the name of non-sponsoring firms in direct answer to requests for particular products and services. However, we ask that you use private email for this whenever possible."

The name of the maker of Color Search is the people who make @#$%& and the download can be found on their site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster