I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson IMMC73ML-TC weightless senko rod
Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2016 06:53PM

This is just an update from a post a few weeks ago asking for suggestions on a senko rod for baitcaster. I was turned onto this rod in the previous post and do not regret purchasing it. I did an spiral wrap with micro guides, starting at 60, then 120, to 180. Did not develop any issues with this setup, first guide was 20 inches from the reel seat. I was using alps titanium guides with 8 flys as 60 and 120 then going to 6 at 180 another 6 and the rest 4's. The reel seat was the Alps Toray with new toray hood in cobalt blue(pics are posted under toray in grips,handles and reel seats). I fished it for a week and was very disappointed with the fishing, but the rod made it fun. The fish were probably in deeper water, but I was having so much fun throwing these senkos into the brush piles. The rod is plenty sensitive, more so then any other rod that I have fished this way. Love having the baitcaster, as the intended target was hit with accuracy that I could not do with a spinning rod. The guys at getbit special ordered the new alps hood and buttcap in from Batson because they had just been released a week earlier. This was one of the best blanks I've fished with and plan to buy more in the future. It casts like a dream, the softer you cast the more the rod works for you. On a side note, I also was able to try my new St Croix 8wt 9', Get Bit has these on sale right now. I am just learning to fly fish and wow what a different experience.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions and hope this update helps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson IMMC73ML-TC weightless senko rod
Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spok.qwest.net)
Date: August 20, 2016 11:55PM

What butt cap?

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2016 06:41AM

In the second picture it shows the new alps short butt cap in cobalt blue.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2016 10:10PM

John, I'm glad to hear that you're happy with that rod blank. I know I was pushing it pretty hard in the earlier thread you referenced. Although I had no doubts you'd like it, I'm a little leery of suggesting a rod blank to anyone simply because I'd feel responsible for them making a selection that they may not be happy with.

I'm sorry to read the actual catching part of your fishing wasn't as productive as you'd like, but I think you'll find that the rod is going to prove to be very versatile. With the summer draw downs that the reservoirs here experience most of my recent fishing with the rod I built on that blank has been in deeper water. It makes an awesome tube jig head rod.

Glad you like it!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster