I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for specific blank
Posted by: Michael Flora (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 01:34PM

Hey, I'm new to this and am looking to start building my first rod, I'm having trouble finding a blank at a reasonable price that suits my needs. I want something with a moderate action rather than mod fast. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for specific blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.36.---)
Date: August 17, 2016 01:41PM

Would help to know what kind of blank and for what. Fly, popping, ultralight trout, etc?

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 02:01PM

Like spencer said.... need more info. What length, lure weight, target species, etc. You can use the search feature on this site or contact one of the sponsors to the left. Good luck with first build. MH

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 02:37PM

It sounds like a fiberglass blank would generally meet your requirements.

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2016 03:58PM

The material the blank is made from will have nothing to do with the action - action is where the rod initially flexes, not what it's made from. There are bamboo rods with fast actions and graphite rods with slow actions. That's really all about the taper involved.

If the original poster can add some information about the type fishing he wishes to do, he'll get more specific answers.

Date: August 17, 2016 04:53PM

Sorry, it's for fly fishing, I want a 4 piece rod, 9' 5 weight. I prefer a rod that flexes in the middle rather than near the tip, looking to use it more for dry flies than anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 04:55PM by Michael Flora.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 05:09PM

Check out the new Bushido blanks...... nothing but 4 star reviews!

[www.americantackle.us]

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 06:38PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The material the blank is made from will have
> nothing to do with the action - action is where
> the rod initially flexes, not what it's made from.
> There are bamboo rods with fast actions and
> graphite rods with slow actions. That's really all
> about the taper involved.
>

???

Action is determined by the blank’s dimensions, thickness, material, and taper.

Material would include type of material as well as flags and tags, woven twill, and dual bias. In other words, how the material is used or implemented.

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2016 06:41PM

Material is just that - material.

The definition of action is where the blank initially flexes. Many confuse it with "speed" which has to do with how quickly a blank reacts and recovers. This also has to do with taper somewhat, but it affected more by material. Two blanks with the same taper but made from different materials will have different speeds - i.e. a blank made from bamboo and another from graphite can share identical actions, but the graphite model will be quicker in terms of reaction and recovery. The frequency will be higher. This is speed, not action.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 08:03PM

I'd suggest a Batson RX6 or Pac Bay T2 - both would do nice, good price too.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 17, 2016 09:46PM

Marc Morrone Wrote:
> I'd suggest a Batson RX6 or Pac Bay T2 - both
> would do nice, good price too.

Ron has a F805-4DB RX6 5wt 4pc listed here scroll down the page,[www.schneidersrods.com] He is a stand-up guy! Has been in business forever, and will hook you -up with all your needs. If you call him you will get his personal attention for your build, And he has some great prices and some hard to find blanks that are great blanks just not in stock at a-lot of vendors anymore. My suggestion is to start with a good middle of the road blank and components $$ Until you have a few builds under your belt, rainshadow F805-4DB build sheet for this blank at the top of the list Have Fun Cheers Jaa [www.google.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 10:05PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: August 18, 2016 03:35PM

Don @ American Tackle Wrote:
> Check out the new Bushido blanks...... nothing but
> 4 star reviews!
>
> [www.americantackle.us]

No offense, but who has given them a 4 star review? I haven't heard of anyone using a Bushido fly blank.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: August 18, 2016 03:53PM

I ve been using Bushido spin blanks for a few years and just started using their fly blanks. Just like the spin blanks they are very straight and have a great feel. I only saltwater fish and cast all line types and to me are true to their wt rating. It casts big flies and weighted flies with ease. I don't know who gave them a four star rating but they are worth a look. MH

Date: August 19, 2016 12:11PM

I see these rods being listed as mod fast, are there any 4 piece fly rods that are just moderate action similar to a Redington classic trout?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster