I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternatives for white elephant/mammoth tusks for handle accent
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: August 16, 2016 05:45PM

Below is a link to a beautiful handled turned by Eden Bromfield. I love the white accent he used for his handle. In his post he said that the white is 'white mammoth tusk'. I tried googling elephant tusk and it's quite expensive.

Is there an alternative that I can use as a white accent for my rod handles?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternatives for white elephant/mammoth tusks for handle accent
Date: August 16, 2016 05:45PM

Oops....forgot the attachment ;-)

[fishingphotos.net]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 16, 2016 06:38PM

Most knife making supply houses have alternative ivory materials. They would probably by my first avenue for sourcing something like this.

And, white/marble colored acrylic wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2016 06:50PM

There are bakelites and other plastics that are very close to ivory.

Date: August 16, 2016 07:46PM

Thank you for the quick response! I will stop by a knife shop and search for other plastics!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2016 07:48PM

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 16, 2016 10:02PM

First that is awfully white for mammoth ivory so I question that?? But what do I know I'v only seen pictures of it. But Don't overlook cow, beef, lamb, bones, femurs-etc. Get them at a real butcher shop that breaks down the whole animal and pick your sizes that are close to your project size just a bit bigger then you need so you can turn them down, Give them to your dog he will clean them up for you for free!!, Then boil them quickly about 3-4 minutes and let them sit in the water to cool, If you boil them to long they will get Brittle, They are already hollow with marrow in them clean them out, or let the dog do it, YOU DO HAVE A DOG RIGHT? { LOL} You will have to epoxy an arbor in them, they turn and polish up real nice and white then seal it with Ca glue, tung oil, whatever UV won't discolor. You can lightly polish them again lightly with 1500-2000 or finer grit micro paper if you so choose. Surprisingly they are used in a lot of hunting knives. As well as Antlers which could be another opion?Their only brown on the outside that would be removed after you turn them down, Just google antler dog chews just a bit more pricey, If you want an aged look, Bone will take an oil-stain. Just a few more options to throw out their for you, And they're real cheap! If they weren't so cheap to buy. I would send you box of them that my weimarainer has already cleaned out, They lay around here like land mines and hurt like he** when you step on them at night! Don't buy the smoked ones at pet stores as they are too brittle from the heat in the smoking process I won't even give them to my dog because of that, If they have fresh frozen,That would be fine but just cost you more then your butcher, Tight Lines and enjoy Jaa

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 16, 2016 10:25PM

Here's the pure white acrylic acetate that I've used as thin accents...

[www.beartoothwoods.com]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2016 10:28PM by Jerry Poindexter.

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (107.77.97.---)
Date: August 17, 2016 12:19AM

Wow! You guys are rock! This is the info that I needed! Thank you Roger and Jerry for the acrylic acetate blocks!

Jay I don't have dogs but I have a couple of kids who might be able to help me chew the bones. Lol. Joking aside I thank you for the info on antlers and animal bones. Gonna give this a try sometimes. In the meantime I will practice with these acrylic blocks first.....

Thinking white acrylic for accent and some of the more exotic colored blocks for butt caps!

Here goes!

Tight lines!

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 17, 2016 07:20AM

Look up South American vegetable ivory or the African Molala nut.
Both are eco friendly, hard,can take a dye or be sealed and very nice to work with.
Inlays,trim rings,winding checks can all easily be made with them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.35.---)
Date: August 17, 2016 11:33AM

A buddy of mine reminded me that the pool cue industry has not used ivory for many years. Places that supply materials to repair or build pool cues will have the materials they have developed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2016 03:24PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 12:03PM

Museums sometimes are forced to sell their assets. Keep an eye open for a museum selling a stuffed Dodo bird. You could use the bird's bill for an inlay and sell its feathers to exclusive fly tyers.

Date: August 17, 2016 01:43PM

Wow! So many options! Thanks guys!

Date: August 17, 2016 04:32PM

Jerry I just saw your acrylic-accented butt sections. Wow! That's some fine work!

Posted by: Eric Egee (---.lightspeed.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 17, 2016 06:33PM

A common alternative to ivory is micarta. Commonly used for knife handles and can be ordered from many knife supply stores on-line. Comes in white and various other colors and is fairly cheap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster