I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reverse Rotation on CRB Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: August 15, 2016 03:14PM

I recently moved up from my homemade hand wrapper to a CRB system from Mudhole. It has a basic 5000 RPM sewing machine motor as I understand. I am a hobbyist so it is more than adequate for my needs. The thing is.......I have only wrapped left to right with the rod rotating away from me. I just can't seem to do it any other way. This is fine for underwraps and such with the new wrapper but I can only set myself up to do 1/2 of my guide wraps under power.....most of my work is HD Saltwater and most guides I use are double foot.

Is there some type of switch or something that I can splice into the line which would reverse the polarity to the motor and get it to rotate in the other direction?

Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reverse Rotation on CRB Power Wrapper?
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 15, 2016 04:52PM

This should help Ya Also read the coments by Billy V below the drawing, Tight lines Jaa [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 04:54PM by Jay Dubay.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2016 06:30PM

Joe,
Although the CRB system does work, you might consider returning the power head from your wrapper and replace it with a more conventional system that has a reverse in the power unit, along with a belt drive.

I realize that you have the foot pedal, but with no speed reduction, you are essentially spinning your rod at a very high speed - which is completely unnecessary and actually undesired for your rod wrapping.

The notes sent about motor reversal will work for some motors, but not for all sewing machine motors. Even if you do get the motor reversed, you are still looking at a rotation speed of 5000 rpm.

In general, most folks would prefer a wrapping speed of no more than 500 rpm and maybe up to 1000 rpm.

------------------
An easy way to accomplish this task without a lot of changes is to use a DC gear motor, speed control and reversing switch. That way, you can have a maximum speed of 500 or 600 rpm and easy reverse at the flip of a switch.

Good luck

Posted by: jack black (99.196.44.---)
Date: August 16, 2016 08:48AM

i HOPE i am not hijacking this thread but i have a similar concern. on my renzetti, i have started applying finish at a high speed (to me anyways) with the foot control. however its a hit and miss thing. i need a constant steady speed, independant of my foot. tell me about the "speed control" mentioned above please. is this a rheostat? thanks

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: August 16, 2016 10:44AM

Thanks guys......I think it is clear that I either open up the casing on the motor and make changes in there or create an elaborate pulley system that can be adjusted to reverse the rotation of the rod....not necessarily the motor. Neither of which is really practical for me. I will make do.

Jack......as I have learned from my research I believe your foot pedal is a rheostat...which governs the current sent to the motor which dictates RPM. I have seen rheostats spliced into the power line for various set-ups which are controlled by a dial. If you did that you would have two......when you want to use it as a drier you would have to get the power to stay ON at the foot pedal and then adjust RPM with the rheostat to hold a steady low RPM. If this would be harmful to your motor, I don't know.

Posted by: jack black (99.196.44.---)
Date: August 16, 2016 04:23PM

exactly. i could do away w/the foot pedal for applying finish at a higher rpm then simply dial it down for drying. then when i want to wrap, take off the rheostat and add the foot pedal. at least, thats the plan.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2016 04:35PM

Joe,
Here is a link to a video of a dc gear motor and controller for rod wrapping with an integrated reverse switch:

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 16, 2016 08:50PM

Thank you Roger....I will take a look.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster