I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sensitivity and rod bond
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.169.193.---)
Date: August 13, 2016 05:52PM

I have a telescopic rod that I need to turn into a one piece rod and all I can think of to do this is with little bit of rod bond. If I do it this way will I lose  any sensitivity.  This will be a flipping rod / frog rod so a little lose of sensitivity is not going to be such a bad thing.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sensitivity and rod bond
Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.10.---)
Date: August 13, 2016 06:27PM

So you're going to bond the two sections with rod bond, right? Now you have a friction fit and a certain level of sensitivity. If you bond it you will have the same section to section contact you have now but the two sections will not be able to move relative to each other because of the rod bond. The weight will go up a tad. But one could argue it will be more rigid.

If a little loss of sensitivity is not a bad thing, why worry about it?

I predict you'll never be able to tell the difference.

I'm not sure why you "need" to turn it into a one piece rod, but there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2016 06:50PM

From a purely technical standpoint if you add weight with no proportional increase in stiffness, there will be a sensitivity decrease. From a practical standpoint - you will never feel any difference.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 13, 2016 10:42PM

Flipping sticks (Florida versions as I know them) are 2 piece rods where the butt end is relatively short and extremely stiff and lines used are in the range of 30 to 60 lb. The joint is at the stiffer part of the blank which does not flex and offers no sensitivity value to the rod. Bonding the two sections together will present no problem.

To put the added weight of the epoxy in perspective, I did a really rough calculation (assuming conservative values) and I didn't make any mistakes, the weight of the epoxy would be roughly 0.06 grams (0.0021 ounces). Considering a drop of water is approximately 0.05 grams (0.0018 ounces) I feel safe stating the effect of the added weight of the epoxy is non existent, especially if the bonded joint is a friction fit as Michael stated.

My fishing habits are such that at times I stick the tip of the rod under water to alter the presentation of the lure, the rod and guides accumulate loads of water, grass and other debris during the retrieve, and I also on occasion handle the rod with wet slimy hands. Many times it rains and soaks the rod, reel and line, with all this going on and all the "added" weight to the rod I am not conscience of any change in the performance or sensitivity since I am too intent concentrating on fishing and when I hook a fish, I am oblivious to everything.

Glenn, sorry to ramble on but to answer your question about bonding the sections together, I wanted to share my experience to support Toms comment "From a practical standpoint-you will never feel any difference".

Go for it and have fun.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 14, 2016 12:16PM

Monofilament lines stretch 10% and more. Braided gel-spun lines stretch in the 1% range. If you are using mono now switch to gel-spun and increase "sensitivity" by a factor of ten. You won't notice the extra weight the glue adds.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2016 04:08PM

Glenn,
I suspect that one could take 100 two piece rods and build them up and fish with them.

Then, those same 100 rods could be glued together and fished with them again.

I would doubt very very much that the person who fished with the rods before and after the gluing would notice any difference in any of the rods.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster