I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Winn grip installation
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2016 10:55PM

I was wondering what others think about how to install the Winn grips.

I see on YouTube that they are using two sided tape. I for one haven't done that on the many rods I have built using Winn grips. My choice has been Pro Paste epoxy.

The question is however, which method is better and stronger for the long term? In all the videos no one mentions what type of two sided tape they use, a question I'd like to have the answer to because I am sure it makes a difference.

Also is the tape method recommended by Winn for fishing rods? I know that is what is done on golf clubs but they get removed and re gripped frequently.

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winn grip installation
Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2016 11:01PM

I just installed the Anglers Resource Winn grips, I reamed to fit and used Flex Coat Rod Builders Glue. No problems so far. I would hunk double sided tape isn't needed with epoxy.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.70.---)
Date: July 29, 2016 08:02AM

I use the pro paste. No problems with it. Good luck, MH

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2016 08:25AM

On a new build, I'll use Rod Bond to install them. On rebuilds, where the grip is being installed from the butt of the rod, I use double sided tape and lighter fluid.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 29, 2016 02:03PM

A builder on another forum mentioned that he has trouble with the skin wrinkling on long grips, like fly. I have done just casting rods and have not had that problem. I find it hard to believe than anything can be more secure long term than rod building epoxy. Ream to a good, not overly snug fit, apply full coverage of epoxy, and slide it on. Carefully clean up.

To avoid any chance of wrinkling I advise not ever getting into a situation where you are forcing them onto a diameter that is too snug. The ones I've done have all been an "easy slide" to position.

Date: July 29, 2016 02:49PM

Michael the only rod I have used a full grip on was one for me. It did in time wrinkle as well. It's had almost two seasons of use.

Truthfully I have built almost fifty rods with the Winn grips. I really like them. This year almost 100% have Winn grips. I have made all kinds of modifications to them as well. Like cutting them to size and re gluing eva on the exposed ends. I have split one down the length and inserted as a foregrip on a make over. All of these were with paste epoxy.

I was just curious if anybody was using the tape method. And I'd do what kind of two sided tape they are using.
Thanks for your reply

Tom

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: July 29, 2016 02:50PM

X2 above post. I've installed Winn fly grips and offshore fore grips and spin grips with pro paste. No wrinkles.

Date: July 29, 2016 05:01PM

We had a presentation by Winn at the Michigan Rodbuilders this spring, and some of the rods were salt surfing rods, and those grips were very long, and no mention of wrinkling problems. I cannot remember if they were advocating epoxy over two sided tape, but my intention is to go with epoxy with an easy slip fit.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2016 06:53PM

These grips were originally made for golf club grips. I have made a half dozen sets of golf clubs and using the two sided tape available from golf shops is the way to go. Golf grips get a lot more abuse than fishing rod grips and using the tape method if you ever need to replace the grip, it will be easy to remove. Not so with epoxy and then you will have to scrape the epoxy off the blank.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 29, 2016 07:09PM

Heck most all the trim and moldings on cars and trucks have been factory installed with 2 sided tape for years. I have a 94 in the drive that I waxed sometime ago, They still look fine to me. Just something to think about? I would use a 3M product myself. Jaa

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2016 10:11AM

Just wondering - how do you slide a grip over two sided tape Would it not get stuck before completely on ??
I would think the glue would work a lot better

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2016 10:20AM

Bill
You apply a liberal about of mineral spirits over the tape and the grip will slide right on. Wait about a half an hour for the spirits to dry and your ready to fish.

Tom

Date: July 30, 2016 10:20AM

Bill
You apply a liberal about of mineral spirits over the tape and the grip will slide right on. Wait about a half an hour for the spirits to dry and your ready to fish.

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 30, 2016 10:51AM

Thanks for the info

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 30, 2016 11:19AM

Good point Randolph on the ease of replacement. I hadn't thought of that, that is of definite value.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2016 11:24AM

Will have to try the double sided tape method. Where is the best place to get the tape, a golf shop?
Norm

Date: July 30, 2016 11:25AM

Here is the two-sided tape process. It looks to me like the tape used is sold as golf club grip tape.

[www.winngripsfishing.com]

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.sub-70-209-49.myvzw.com)
Date: July 30, 2016 01:14PM

When I replaced my cork with Winn grips I used propaste. It still looks great and I don't think it will ever fail. I thought about double sided tape but I don't think I could trust it enough.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 30, 2016 01:34PM

Michael Maclean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I replaced my cork with Winn grips I used
> propaste. It still looks great and I don't think
> it will ever fail. I thought about double sided
> tape but I don't think I could trust it enough.

I'm sure your bond will not fail, But when the grip needs to be changed and it will from UV breakdown, I would not want to deal with propaste that's for sure. {Just sayin}, Lots easier to inject some mineral spirits under the grip with a syringe and needle slowly twist until loosened up and slide off the old double sided tape, And reapply fresh tape and a new grip. Jaa

Date: July 30, 2016 02:48PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will have to try the double sided tape method.
> Where is the best place to get the tape, a golf
> shop?
> Norm

Norm I ordered mine online it's a 2" two sided tape very reasonable $6.99 with free shipping. The company is called Golf Galaxy.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2016 02:50PM by Tom Wewerka.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster