I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10' nymph and spinning combo
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.226.218.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 08:58AM

I was wondering if anyone has built a 10' combo rod for spin fishing and for fly fishing with nymphs. Im considering a fast action 3wt. blank and then set it up with the Microwave or similar guide system. Is this feasible in this rod length and this style of line guides? If not, what would you recommend?

I fish live minnow in early spring and late fall, the rest of the season I fly fish. Most of the dedicated nymph rods do not work well with dry flies and thats ok. I want this for minnows, micro jigs, and nymphing.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10' nymph and spinning combo
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: July 27, 2016 09:29AM

3 wt is awfully light to put a spinning guide set on and expect it not to be noodley. Ultralight gear rod blanks are more powerful than that by quite a bit. Have you tried putting a spinning reel on your fly rod and using as is? I think you'll surprised by how well it casts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 09:33AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2016 09:52AM

Jesse,
Too long and too light for a spin fly combo. Especially with spin rod inserted guides.
The recovery rate of the rod coupled with the mass of the guides will make a terrible casting combination.
Not suitable for spinning or fly.

Gene

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 12:01PM

I have found in a pinch a spinning rod can make a remarkably effective fly rod, but a fly rod always seems to make a lousy spinning rod. The difference is definitely NOT in the blanks but in the grips and the guide trains. The jack of all trades is the master of none, but for a dual purpose fly-spin rod I would just build a spin rod.

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.226.218.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 12:50PM

Looks like I need one of each.... thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster