I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help!! 7'10" 8/9 wt fly rod blanks? For kayak..
Posted by: Chris Santemma (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2016 11:16PM

Hi folks,

I've been scouring the web for a 7'10" 8 or 9wt fly rod blank with no luck at all. I have a client that will be using it from his kayak for blues and striped bass. The closest manufactured rod would be the reddington predator 7'10" 8wt.

I would be grateful if anyone knows where I can find this length blank OR could a 9ft blank be cut down to that length??

Thank you for your thoughts!!

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2016 11:17PM by Chris Santemma.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help!! 7'10" 8/9 wt fly rod blanks? For kayak..
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2016 11:27PM

Chris,
CTS has a custom fly rod program that can get you very close.
You can get a 7'9" (3" increments) in 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 pieces. In weights from #0 to #18.

You can get it in 3 graphite models - Fast, Moderate Fast, Moderate. Or fiberglass.

Check out link - [ctsfishing.com]

Email me if you need prices/help

Regards
Herb Ladenheim
U.S. Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: July 27, 2016 09:24AM

Schneider has a 2 piece popping rod blank, IP963F, a blank is a blank. Can cut some off the butt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2016 11:33AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2016 09:46AM

Chris,
The IM7 blank you're looking for in an 8 foot length should have a butt of approx. .391 with a tip of .068 and a weight of 1.7 ounces
The IM7 blank you're looking for in an 9 foot length should have a butt of approx. .448 with a tip of .068 and a weight of 2 ounces
These specs should place you in between an 8 and 9 weight line.

Spinning, casting or fly shouldn't make any difference. Cut to the requested length.

Gene

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 10:36AM

Depending on how much you want to spend, Sage makes 7' 11" bass series blanks from panfish to peacock bass.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 02:14PM

Out of curiosity, how does the fact that this rod will be used from a kayak require a 7'10" blank"?

Posted by: Chris Santemma (47.19.122.---)
Date: July 27, 2016 03:12PM

From my understanding and experience in the keys it makes getting your hand on the fish much easier. i had grip the fly rod way up high to try and bring the catch close to the kayak. personally i just find it awkward. Also i can move with the fish so distance is no longer a primary factor so i can get by using a shorter rod. This is just me. Everyone has has their own way..

Chris

Posted by: Chris Santemma (47.19.122.---)
Date: July 27, 2016 03:18PM

From my understanding and experience in the keys it makes getting your hand on the fish much easier. i had grip the fly rod way up high to try and bring the catch close to the kayak. personally i just find it awkward. Also i can move with the fish so distance is no longer a primary factor so i can get by using a shorter rod. This is just me. Everyone has has their own way..

Chris

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: July 28, 2016 06:03PM

I built one for myself to use on kayak. I started with a 9' 9wt matrix 2pcs. Cut it down to 7'10". Built it like any other fly rod only played with guide spacing to get it right for me. I use it a lot and it works good. I feel the rod weight dropped one size with the amount of butt I cut off. I cast it with 8wt sinking tip and floating lines. Other than that just some casting technique adjustments and it works fine for stripers and blues. Also, I recommend building one for yourself first. It will help you figure out the way the rod works and give your customer an opportunity to demo it and give you feedback. Check out the 2pcs bushido fly blanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 28, 2016 06:58PM

Michael
Consider yourself lucky that the rod did not snap at the top of the grip.
The butt section of fly rods are built beefier to accept the loads. Besides resting a rod on the gunnel of a boat when a good fish hits - there are two ways top break a rod:
1. Hi sticking
2. Improving your leverage by holding the rod above the grip with a good fish on. In effect - that is what you are doing when shorting a rod from the butt.

You can get a rod properly built almost to any length you wish with the proper "meat" in the grip area.
Herb

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: July 28, 2016 07:31PM

Herb, I agree cutting that much off is risky, but it's a risk I feel is worth taking. I want to see what the rods limit is and if it casts properly. I used a size 17 spin seat on this rod so it will flex more than a metal seat and hopefully reduce the possibility of breaking. I have a feeling the false albacore run this fall will be the true test. I appreciate the input. Thx MH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster