I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Goo Gone to the rescue
Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 03:24PM

I made a beginner's mistake yesterday while gluing on a handle and left the reel seat nut all the way unscrewed so that a little glue from the rear grip locked the nut in place. Pliers with the jaws covered in cloth would not budge the nut. After picking out a bit of glue with a dental pick I put a few drops of Goo Gone on the joint between the nut and the handle and let it stew for a hour. Boy was I glad to see that the Goo Gone softened enough of the glue (Pro Paste) that the nut turned and the reel handle was saved.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goo Gone to the rescue
Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 06:31PM

Excellent post!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 06:38PM

I use goo gone for cleaning up or removing a lot of things; works very well. However, need to use it in a well ventilated work place.
Norm

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2016 08:24PM

Goof off is another very good product for removing many different types of adhesives, paint, etc. This is the one that needs good ventilation , not the goo gone as mentioned above. Both products work welll, and I use both of them.
Norm

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 10:07AM

In addition to the above posts, one of the similar components of either of these products is Xylene. If you choose, you can use xylene directly. This product is available at big box builders supply store in the paint section.
It is the go to thinner for epoxy paints and similar products.

But, as has been stated else where. This is a very dangerous product that needs to be used only with adequate breathing protection in a well vented space. Preferably out of doors.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 10:57AM

Next time try to catch it before it sets up this way it is a lot easier to clean off Then you will not need all those products just alcohol

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster