I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel dimension help
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 11:08AM

I am building a rod that the owner will be using a Shimano 4000 reel on it. I do not own a reel that size and was wondering if anyone can either point me to where i can get the height of the base to the center of the spool shaft or has one they can measure it would be greatly appreciated.

Building using a Microwave30 guide system and the factory recommendations seem like the stripper guide is a bit far out. They also say for reels up to a 7000 which I would think is a great difference from a 4000??

Thanks

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel dimension help
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 11:37AM

For reels of that size and rods in the 7-8 foot range, I normally start with the stripper at 25 inches using any type guide train.

Be safe

Date: July 24, 2016 11:57AM

That's exactly where I am on this Roger. It's a 9 1/2 St Croix SC5 Salmon /Steelhead rod. I guess with 13 inches of cork grip it just looked a little far up the blank. I appreciate your input.

Tom

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 03:34PM

I'm currently building a 7' 2" spinning rod for a Shimano 4000 Symetre reel using Microwave guides. I placed the tip side foot edge of the stripper guide 22" from the center of the reel stem.

Date: July 24, 2016 04:09PM

doug raff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm currently building a 7' 2" spinning rod for a
> Shimano 4000 Symetre reel using Microwave guides.
> I placed the tip side foot edge of the stripper
> guide 22" from the center of the reel stem.

You using the Microwave 30 system, Doug?

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 04:14PM

My older Shimano Spirex 4000 the shaft is 3 1/4 inches from the plane of the foot of the reel measured at the spool. The head is angled upwards. The spool is about 1 7/8 inches in diameter. I used a 30 mm guide 25" from the lip of the spool. It has been a few years since I built it and I have no idea how I ended up with it there. Maybe Tom said so? My first go at a 8' spinning rod. It seems to work fine.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2016 04:19PM by Bill Moschler.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 25, 2016 11:21AM

Tom, looking in the data base of GPS I see we have 3 shimano 4000's listed. Looks an average you could work from would be a height of about 79-80mm from the blank to the tip of the reel spool if that helps.

Date: July 25, 2016 12:49PM

Bill and Jim

This is very helpful and I appreciate your getting back to me on this.

Tom

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: July 25, 2016 09:26PM

Tom, I would call Amtak and talk to them. They are very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster