I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

black guide feet and light thread......
Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 09:30AM

how to stop show through?

paint feet white or will CP do the job? any tricks i'm missing?

cheers
marty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: black guide feet and light thread......
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2016 09:34AM

CP will do what it can, but if you're using a very light colored thread on top of black guide feet then the thread may show a shade darker in that area. Or you can just use NCP and not worry about it. Either way, make sure the thread is packed tightly across the foot.

Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 09:48AM

cheers tom, using a white blank so got my heart set on using a very light lime green, but cant get it in ncp.

will i need multiple thin coats of CP to get the best result possible?

i was going to paint the feet white with acrylic, but suspect it'll may flake off?

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 09:58AM

Try Pro Wrap 501 green color fast for a thread. Not quite Light Green but looks very cool on white blank

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2016 10:38AM

Adding more and more CP won't do any good beyond a point, which is usually two wet coats.

I'd suggest doing a test wrap and finish on the blank on the portion that'll be covered by the handle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 10:50AM

NCP with CP in D size Like said pack well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 12:04PM

If the white paint survives the epoxy, it isn't going to flake.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 01:34PM

Epoxy will not effect acrylic if it is dry. If you are intending to paint the feet white, there is no need to apply CP before your wrap.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: July 23, 2016 02:17PM

marty mulcairn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cheers tom, using a white blank so got my heart
> set on using a very light lime green, but cant get
> it in ncp.
>
> will i need multiple thin coats of CP to get the
> best result possible?
>
> i was going to paint the feet white with acrylic,
> but suspect it'll may flake off?

Lime green in NCP is common. I sell a lot of Neon Lime green in Perma Color (NCP). Unfortunately, it appears you are in Australia (sky.com) and I am having minor surgery in the next couple of days.

I suggest you make two over wraps. The first wrap would be metallic that covers the guide foot and extends beyond the foot by about 1/4 inch. This would give you about a 1/8 inch trim band. Your top wrap will be lime in nylon. Perhaps silver or gold metallic would would work well with your lime thread. You would want an oil free nylon in order to have the metallic give your nylon maximum pop/bling.

Don Becker

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 11:43AM

Marty,
Normally one would not do a double wrap, but you could see the effect of using white silk thread on the feet first, and then doing an overwrap using your desired thread of choice.

Or;
Use a white permanent marker to paint the guide feet white. You may have to use one or two coats of marker to get a good coating. Then, wrap your guides as you desire. I doubt that you would have any color shedding with the white marker:

[www.officeworld.com]

Be sure to let the marker dry for a couple of days, before starting any thread wraps. Also, since it is summer, let the guides sit on a tray in the sun to really cure the paint from the marker.

Good luck

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 11:52AM

White out will also work.
Norm

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 12:01PM

Sally Hanson "hard as nails" nail polish. I use black and white. I let it sit for a day
and yet to have any problems. I also do nor glob it on, but use thin coats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster