I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One piece fly rods
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 12:15PM

Hi,
Is there any interest out there for one-piece 9'0" fly rods.

If so, please advise rod weight(s).
Herb
Distrib. CTS Rod Blanks

P.S. - we are back now from cape Cod. So advise if anyone wants to piggy-back on my next bulk order to save a few $ on NZ shipping.
Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One piece fly rods
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 01:34PM

Depends on brand and price, but I'd like to build a 4wt

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 01:35PM

Not from me. I use mostly 4 and 5 piece fly rod blanks.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 03:00PM

I love 'em in weights 7-11. Guides in the keys / S. Florida are using them a lot in the same weights, and they stay on the boat most of the time. There is a little bit of interest in them for throwing streamers for trout and such in the heartland, 7-9 wts, but it's a limited market. Although a small market, the people who use them are pretty enthusiastic about them. I'd love to see a fast action 1-pc 6 wt, but not holding my breath.
You should search this forum for the last time this topic came up.......I was surprised how polarizing the topic became.

Date: July 22, 2016 06:34PM

OK thanks.

The manufacturer would be CTS. The mandrels would be mine.
I don't want to invest the $ if limited interest.
Herb

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 07:15PM

Herb,
Mudhole been trying to sell off the last of the 1 pc. Lamiglas Bug Slingers for near a year, they are still there even after being 50 % off a few times.

Date: July 23, 2016 12:18AM

Spencer
Thanks.
Herb

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 24, 2016 10:24PM

I have a one-piece 7 foot fly rod. It's a pain trying to travel with it, but barely manageable. My thought: Never again!

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: July 26, 2016 03:58PM

eric zamora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a one-piece 7 foot fly rod. It's a pain
> trying to travel with it, but barely manageable.
> My thought: Never again!
>
> eric
> fresno, ca.

yes, traveling is a pain, but that's what multi-piece rods are for. Most people who use these regularly have in-car or car-top carriers (e.g., Titan Rod Vault), or they are dedicated boat/skiff rods.

Herb, looking at the product roll-outs at the recent i-cast and IFTD shows, many companies are expanding their 1-piece offerings. And St Croix came out with a 2-pc rod in which only the tip section is removed (best of show at i-cast). So someone is buying them......just maybe not the blanks for custom builds. Except for at least, me. Let us know if you decide to do some!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 26, 2016 05:22PM

Doors and ceiling fans guarantee that new one-piece fly rods will be in high demand by their admirers.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2016 07:33PM

In my mind, the inconvenience, far out weighs any positive benefits! Out West many of fly fishermen travel substantially, no way your going to take a one piece on a plane. With modern ferrules, the action is no longer a problem with multi-piece rods.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.42.---)
Date: July 28, 2016 09:38AM

It would really have to be a fantastic rod for me to spend another $500 to ensure that I could get from point A to B. I'll go with my multi-piece rods and rod tubes that work on both fly and gear rods.

Date: July 29, 2016 07:52AM

Thanks to all for their comments.
I have been receiving requests from a few saltwater fly fishermen for #9 and #10 fly rods for NE Stripers. But it could be for light freshwater blanks also.
I just need a orders for a few blanks, of the same design/line weight, to make it feasible.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster