I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4 wt blank for dry flies
Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-140.myvzw.com)
Date: July 20, 2016 02:11PM

As the thread title says.. I am looking for a lightweight, 9' 4wt blank for fishing dry flies. Cost is not the biggest factor. Moderate-fast action.

Cheers!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4 wt blank for dry flies
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 06:27PM

Chris
In stock for immediate delivery:
I have a CTS Affinity-X 9'0", 4pc #4 That is fast acction though. But light and crisp.
Also have 3 more CTS 5 wts of moderate fast action.
I can give you a good price on all.
Herb
Distrib CTS Rod Blanks

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: July 20, 2016 09:25PM

American Tackle's Bushido BF 904-4 is a Moderate Fast action taper. It should fit the bill very nicely. The blanks are straight and light and strong. I have built on the BF 793-2 and the BF 804-2 blanks for personal use, and the BF 804-4 as a blank for the folks at American Tackle, remarkable is one way to describe them.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 10:15PM

My personal favorite to build for that application is the BE904-4 From Karen at Bingham Ent. Awsom performing rod

Ron Weber

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2016 01:10AM

Orvis H2-7A75 midflex, I second Ron's suggestion also. In the 4 wt.for dry fly fishing, I like the 8 ft. 6 in. and shorter rods, I think they represent the best in 4 wt. performance.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2016 07:29AM

CTS Affinity MX 864-4 is a great dry fly stick in Graphite, if you want something with a softer action, look at the Affinity N or Vintage series, all 3 are very light in the hand and cast very well. I'd also go with an 8-6 length for a 4wt, they just seem to cast better in that line weight and length compared to 9ft blank in 4wt.

Herb can hook you up with any of those blanks.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: July 22, 2016 03:41AM

Actually the Rainshadow RX6 series F864-4 blank is quite nice. Maybe not the lightest out there but great for relaxed-style casting. And certainly not one to break the bank.

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-157.myvzw.com)
Date: July 22, 2016 02:34PM

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I ended up buying a blank that Herb had in stock, a CTS Affinity X 490-4. I am still deciding on the 486....

Cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster