I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork handle and tung oil
Posted by: Thomas C Kuzia (32.216.23.---)
Date: July 20, 2016 09:38AM

Has anyone tried tung oil on cork handles and is it wise to do this?
Thanks,,,
Tom Kuzia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork handle and tung oil
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 09:44AM

Thomas,
Lots of folks have tried tung oil on cork handles.

It is up to the person who puts the oil on the grip to decide if it is worth it or not.

Remember, cork is a very tight celled product that does not accept finish very well.

Good luck

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 11:53AM

I use Birchwood-Casey Tru Oil gun stock finish on grips that include cork and burl, basically to bring out the grain and contrast. I see no reason to use it on an all cork grip. Cork has a soft, warm feel to it. Coating it with a finish just makes it hard and cold.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2016 12:13PM

Tru-Oil is a polymerized varnish that dries hard and can be built up to any depth you desire. Regular tung oil never "dries" or gets hard. It is more of a penetrating type finish. It will certainly darken the cork a tad but will not leave any sort of hard finish on top of the cork.

Date: July 20, 2016 04:18PM

Thanks all,,,
I had a used/broken cork handle and being new to this thought the tung oil might seal it from dirty hands,worms/bait,etc.
This morning after my original post I put a little tung oil on the handle and it's now 4:15 and the cork still feels sticky to the touch.
I don't think it's a good idea to use tung oil on cork!
Tom Kuzia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2016 10:42AM

Like Tom said it never dries Try the tru-oil

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2016 11:09AM

I personally like cork seal. Has a good feel and makes the cork easier to clean.
Norm

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 12:43AM

Cork is not hard to clean! I little dish soap, a soft brush and it comes clean easily.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 01:12AM

With cork seal a wet rag is enough to clean dirty cork, untreated cork needs soap and a good scrubbing. I think this is easier. In addition, cork seal keeps the cork looking and feeling new longer. In my opinion cork seal is good stuff, and I use it on all cork handles I build. In fact, most people I build rods for will bring me their other rods with cork handles to have me clean them and apply cork seal; they like it also.
Norm

Date: July 22, 2016 04:17PM

I'm going to order some Tru-Oil and give it a try on the same old/used cork handle I have !
Thanks again all,,,
Tom Kuzia

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (104.169.193.---)
Date: July 22, 2016 05:35PM

Linseed Oil works really good and it does not turn the cork to dark and it seal the water and dirt out.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2016 06:36PM

I like the cork when it darkens It takes on a Golden tone A different color then just regular cork Finish works well also Several thin coats

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: steve roepke (99.197.36.---)
Date: July 23, 2016 02:17AM

I used Watco Danish Oil on a tennesee handle and it turned out great! its the natural finish color and brought out the grain and gave some color to it. I did epoxy over it to seal it but it feels great in the hand! stain took really well!

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-69.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 12:20PM

I use U40 cork seal for regular cork, and Tru Oil for burl. I really like what Tru Oil does for the tiger trout burl that Custom Fly Grips sells. Very nice!

Posted by: jack black (184.63.104.---)
Date: August 01, 2016 02:31AM

i build 25-50 rods a year on average, using cork and wood for the grips. cork seal on the cork and BLO on the wood. my wifes rods grips kept needing refinishing due to heavy use etc (read neglect) so at her suggestion i applied a wrap finish to her grips and she loves the shine and bling. to me it looks like someone forgot to take the shrink wrap off the handle when bought at walmart. showed it to the kids, and they like it too. in other words i've been outvoted. 99% of the rods i make go to the family, kids that are graduating HS, gifts for kids bosses, neighbors etc. just finished 2 wooden handles using 3 diff. colors in the indian blanket design. put on several coats of BLO and shined it up and said looked how this really pops. no,,,they want finish put on it. have sold my soul for 50 cents worth of finish. oh well.

Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: August 08, 2016 10:48PM

On this subject of cork and cleaning and finishing, I have a question regarding the restoring of damaged cork grips. What is the preferred item to repair damaged grips that actually do not need replaced but just filling and patching. I have a few vintage rods with cork grips that could use a touch up in places and also one last question is when to leave well enough alone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster