I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What finish is this?
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.boid.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 06:22PM

I am rebuilding the top section of a custom made Sage XP 590 Graphite IIIe B rod. The owner said that the tip got slammed in a door. He had already gotten the replacement tip section, and wanted me to save the guides, and wrap it for him. I stared removing guides, and who ever wrapped this rod originally used a finish that is harder than anything I have come across. I didn't heat it before starting since I just wanted to get the guides off the broken section. I have used Flex coat, and Thread Master. Even on rods I built in the mid 80's these finishes don't get as hard as the finish I am working with. This finish is also crystal clear. Anyone have any Idea what this finish might be?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What finish is this?
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2016 06:38PM

Permagloss or equivalent?

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 06:49PM

I have seen people use 15min epoxy for guides.......maybe that's what it is

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.boid.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 06:54PM

I haven't worked with Permagloss. I am sort of in an area where there isn't a lot of rod building, and you can't just go to a store in the area, buy rod building stuff. It has to shipped in unseen and untested. Have you used Permagloss? How did you like working with it?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 07:08PM

Permagloss and other one-part polyurethane coatings are very clear, very hard, do not build as does epoxy, and harden very fast, so you have to work fast. On guide wraps they look very thin, with thread texture showing unless many coats are used. They can be hard to store without hardening in the bottle; many store in the fridge with a dessicant in a baggie with the bottle. They stay clear, don't turn yellow as does epoxy with exposure to the sun.

If you have to refinish the rod, these are the right materials for refinishing blanks. Do not use wrap or other epoxy to do that.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2016 10:04PM

Mike B...I'm just guessing Permagloss based on "crystal clear and hard". I can see where you'd want to use the same as previous on the replacement upper section. Follow Mike D's advice. I haven't bought any new supply in awhile, but I think they have improved the storage w/ a new cap. You might even want to do a search on here for previous Permagloss posts...it's way different than 2 part epoxy in handling. Good luck!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2016 10:10PM

It's not Permagloss. It's most likely a UV cured finish which continues to harden upon each subsequent exposure to the sun. They often become so hard they will shatter when you try to cut or chip into them.

Posted by: John Cates (107.77.64.---)
Date: July 19, 2016 11:48PM

FYI...

All Sage factory rods are made with Flex Coat Rod Finish.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 12:46AM

I believe the OP said that is was a custom build. not a factory build

Ron Weber

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster