I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blanks
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 19, 2016 01:39PM

When you order a blank (say a casting blank) or you order a spinning blank, what is the actual difference in the blank its self? To look at them you can't tell a difference. It seems that the difference is in the components you put on the rod and where you put them. This may be a dumb question but I just ordered two St Croix blanks and they look the same as any blank except for the label. Could I make a spinning rod out of a casting blank and how would it effect the outcome. Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2016 01:52PM

A blank is just a tube or shaft, there is no physical difference between a spinning or casting blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 03:04PM

Phil,
As Tom stated, a blank is a blank.

From a marketing view point, generally spinning rods tend to have less power and a lighter action than a casting rod.

But, yes, I have build up blanks labeled casting with a spinning reel reel seat and guides.

I have also built up blanks labeled spinning with a casting reel seat and guides.

Just match the power and action of the blank - no matter the label to the job that you want to execute with the fishing rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (107.77.97.---)
Date: July 19, 2016 03:52PM

The blank doesn't know any difference. Finding the optimum blank for the task at hand is what you should focus on. Action, power, where and what you will be using it for is key. That's one of the primary reasons to take the custom route imo.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 05:08PM

It would be great if someone from one of the manufacturers would wade in on this thread!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 05:11PM

I think the manufacturers, at least most of them, know that we would end up talking about CCS again, and they don't want to do it. Exc for Point Blank and Pac Bay.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.boid.qwest.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 06:45PM

I am working on building some spinning rods built on 3 Wt. fly rod blanks. The blank doesn't know what it was built for. I think I know what you are asking, are the Sage, St. Croix, Winston et all blanks better than some of less expensive blanks from Batson PacBay and such? I will leave the answer to the people that build a lot of rods. For me, I can't see a lot of difference other than price.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2016 09:14PM

Phil Ayers, you have stumbled into a gem of info. Not only does spinning vs casting vs fly mean nothing, so does salmon vs bass and so on. The wise builder looks at diameters, wall thickness and materials and then buys and samples. He develops a database of blanks. Based on what he discovers he matches them to applications regardless of what they are sold for.

This isn't something everyone does. But IMHO it is something that can offer tremendous results and value. I think it is a road worth going down. Best of luck in your ventures.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 20, 2016 06:44AM

Thanks to everyone, you are correct Russell about stumbled into a gem of information that is what I love about this board. I am new at this but I want to build the best rod I can build just for my self satisfaction. It has amazed me how small things effect a fishing rod performance. Thanks again, Phil Ayers

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2016 02:36PM

For me I want my casting rods to be a little slower and my spinning rods to be a little lighter in the tip and faster. I agree it does not matter what the blank is labeled. But the action does matter for the application.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2016 07:24PM

When you find - or think you have found a blank you want to use for a certain lure -- All blanks throw WEIGHT weather it be lure weight or fly line Fly line is the weight Past the tip
Come here to see if it will or is good for the lure and or WAY you want to use it
Some one here has probably tried it and should know
That is what this site is all about -- ask before you spend that money

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (---.sub-70-194-69.myvzw.com)
Date: July 23, 2016 12:35PM

I bought a Fenwick rod a couple of year ago, on sale for about half price. It didn't work well for what I thought it would, but it turned out to be very nice for tossing a micro jig under a small float for trout. I still use it for that. I let a buddy use it one trip to Taneycomo. When he first held it he said, "hey, this is a walleye rod". I told him look closely. It says walley on the top when you're holding it in the fishing position. The trout can't see you're using a walleye rod, so it will be fine.

He gave a strange look, and started fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster