I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Minima Ultra Lite Exposed reel seat questions....
Posted by: Ed Edwards (---.dhcp.mdsn.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 17, 2016 02:31PM

I am a newbie builder and have a few questions I really hope can be answered. I am getting a blank that has a .29 diameter rod butt and want to have the minima reel seeat. Two questions...
1. What size of minima do I use? They have from 9.5mm on up...???
2. Are arbors used for them, if so what kind are suggested or how do you build them up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Minima Ultra Lite Exposed reel seat questions....
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2016 05:00PM

Best way is to get the seat from your blank supplier, just tell them how long a rear grip you want and they can do the rest. You can have them size the tip top too.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2016 07:23PM

You want to get a diameter that will not require arbors. The skeleton seat requires a very good bond with the blank in order to hold. It doesn't have the long/big area of contact that regular seats have. Be sure you prep the blank for the application of epoxy by scuffing it with Scotch pads. Wipe clean, but do not clean with alcohol or other. Spencer's post says that your blank supplier, if he knows where the seat is going to be positioned on the blank, can select the right one for you.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2016 08:46PM

They do not make a minima reel seat small enough to fit your rod blank; 0.29 inches equals 7.366 mm and that's at the butt. The smallest ID for a minima seat is 9.5 mm (0.37 inches). The minima seats are not designed to use an arbor. If you want a split reel seat try the Fuji SK2 seats they use an arbor.
Norm

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 17, 2016 11:01PM

I had to use a Fuji on my ultra light with arbors because of the diameter of the blank.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: July 18, 2016 06:40PM

Take a look here...
[c2.staticflickr.com]

9.5 minima spinning seat on a .15" blank - I've put them on a .125" blank as well. 0 problems

I glue the cork foregrip on first, then build up a very small tape arbor, coat with ProPaste and slide the top half of the seat into place. The barrel uses 2 small tape arbors and ProPaste with a tiny cork butt. I've built several minima spinning seats onto ice rods with no problems what so ever - and these guys beat the heck out of them. Ice handles can be built 'backward" of the normal process you'd typically follow for open water rods. I always glue up the foregrip first and work my way to the butt - typically because most of my rods have wraps or hook keepers in place before the handle goes on.

Make sure you mock the seat up with the reel and mark everything for alignment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 06:42PM by Mat Peirce.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2016 05:34PM

I fully agree with Mat> Most of us are not building packaged kit rods here, It's like fishing, Sometimes {You have to think outside the Box, To put fish in the box}. There's lots of spectacular examples of Thinking outside the box, In the Photo section as well. I personally don't care for split seats I find the uncomfortable myself but many people Love them. Jaa

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster