I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting reel seat
Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.dhcp.mnt.ct.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 02:29PM

I'm going to be building a Phenix Recon2 744 casting. I was wondering what do you find to be the most comfortable casting reel seat? I've been using Alps Tex touch on my last few builds but I was wondering what people find the most comfortable for larger hands?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting reel seat
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 05:54PM

Quite frankly, I don't see a lot of difference in comfort (or any difference) between the various seats. I would go with what you know works and is durable. To me, have hoods that do not fail, having contact with the blank in some way, and finishes that are durable, are important. Anything else is cosmetic, IMHO.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2016 06:13PM

Something I've learned since I started building my own rods is, the choice of the reel seat has a lot to do with what I'll be using the rod for.

For instance, prior to building my own rods I only had one factory rod that had a split reel seat. It's a crankbait rod. I thought it was pretty cool looking, and for fishing crankbaits, it's plenty comfortable.

The first casting rod I built I used a standard casting reel seat and fitted it with a foam arbor. I was new to the game and I used it as a way to get comfortable installing a reel seat. It was a jerkbait rod. The second casting rod I built was a crankbait rod. I used a Pac Bay Minima reel seat. Nice and comfy. Light and maximum blank exposure.

The third casting rod I built was a flipping/pitching rod. I again used a Pac Bay Minima reel seat. Biggest mistake I ever made. I hold the rod and reel a little differently when flipping and pitching, than I do when fishing any other technique. For me the Minima seat is very uncomfortable for that application.

The last casting rod I built I used an MVT reel seat. I absolutely love that reel seat. As you know, the Tex Touch seat appears to be virtually the same as the MVT, just made from different material.

I'll be changing the reel seat on my flipping and pitching rod to an MVT this winter. And since I like the MVT so much, it will be the reel seat I use from here on out on all of the casting rods I build.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 06:14PM by David Baylor.

Date: July 15, 2016 06:50PM

The MVT is certainly a nice seat, but is it any more comfortable than other non-skeleton seats? Is it worth the approx $50 premium in cost to other seats? If it works for anyone at the premium price, great. But for me, I just don't see it.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 09:13PM

I really like the fuji acs reel seat. Very similar to the alps just much less expensive. Ive used 4 of the pack bay minima reel seats spinning and casting and been happy with them. The fuji is about 7 dollars, but only has one contact point with the blank where the mvt i believe has 3. This is were you hand is touching the blank for more sensitivity. Standard reel seats with graphite arbors are sensitive as well.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2016 03:17AM

Michael, I don't think the MVT is any more comfortable than any other similar reel seat. But I do feel it is slightly more sensitive. Of course that could just be in my mind. My true reason for liking it so much is more aesthetic than anything else.

Is it worth 6 or 7 times more based on it's performance? No. But we humans often pay more for, or do something that isn't necessary from a performance point of view.

John, as far as the number of blank contact points on the MVT. They say 3, but in reality it's only one. The other two places that could be considered contact points have a woven carbon fiber appearing insert. At least in sizes up to 13.5. Larger than that and there is no insert.

Date: July 16, 2016 07:02AM

David, I mentioned comfort because that was part of the original question. The seat is worth what people are willing to pay for it, so the MVT is worth its price to you and I presume many others. I agree that aesthetics are important and that seat is certainly handsome. Someone mentioned recently here that sensitivity in a casting seat is almost a moot point since most fishermen palm the reel, thus getting their feedback through the reel and not the seat.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2016 10:29AM

I like the Fuji ECSM modified as per Rich Forhan's instructions.

Posted by: John Keough (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2016 02:40PM

I couldn't agree more with David. That is why on my new imm73 that David suggested I am putting an MVT seat on. Because I think it will look awesome. Part of being a custom builder is about the bling factor. Any link to the Richard forhan ecsm mod?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2016 02:49PM by John Keough.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (32.211.41.---)
Date: July 16, 2016 10:35PM

I believe it was George Roth that modified the casting seat.

Date: July 16, 2016 11:51PM

Rich's info is in an article in RodMaker magazine some years ago. Tom might have put it on one of the discs on his site.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 11:33AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 17, 2016 02:35AM

I like the Fuji ACS seat and it was my go to seat for casting builds. I'm in the middle of a build with the new Fuji PTS seat. It looks and feels nice and is worth a look.

Date: July 17, 2016 09:57AM

I personally don't think the Fuji ACS reel seat is designed for big hands.
Really nothing new, Berkley had reel seats like you described on their Series One rods of all types since the 80's, still used on the Air Series salmon/steelhead rods. The Series One versions were narrower also under the reel.
Castaway used to have them on their bass rods also, and many years ago I used to buy a fairly decent, inexpensive knock off reel seat from Anglers Workshop, still think I have one on a crankbait rod built on a Kennedy blank. Takes about 15 minutes to make a nice, lighter reel seat from the Fuji ECSM, the TCSM reel seat can also be modified for larger diameter blanks, Do a little messing around in the shop and you can do just about anything, Rich was doing skeleton reel seats from the ECSMs years before you could buy them, if I remember right he preferred the non-skeletonized modified seats.
Put a drum sander attachment on your drill and you'd be surprised what your can do to the ECSM, or similar seat to make it look like some of the newer designs.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2016 12:15PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2016 07:56PM

Well if you are looking for something for larger hands just simply get a larger reel seat.....

Posted by: chris newkirk (205.204.248.---)
Date: July 17, 2016 10:06PM

I too am a fan of the ACS ( I also have large hands) and all of my customers that have tried the ACS prefer the feel of it over other styles I have presented to them. In the end, it comes down to personal preference.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster