I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide foot glue stick
Posted by: Thomas C Kuzia (32.216.23.---)
Date: July 15, 2016 09:42AM

I'm having a terrible time trying to hold the smaller guides to the rod prior to wrapping them and am wondering if the glue sticks from a common glue gun would work as well as the guide foot glue sticks?
Would either types have any affect on the epoxy holding?
I've tried 1/4" and 1/8' masking tape to hold the guides but both are too wide and the 1/8" doesn't give much holding surface.
Thanks,,,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide foot glue stick
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 09:59AM

Tom the common glue sticks should work as long as it is a LOW temp glue. The issue and why I only use the flex coat is the ability to move the guide once it is wrapped to get a perfect alignment of your guides. I would suggest that your try it on a spare blank or it the grip area where you can remove it a cover with the grip. If it holds and can be moved you are good to go.

The glue has no effect on the epoxy, be sure you clean up any that squeezes out from under the guide foot. It doesn't take much to hold the guide.

Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 10:05AM

Thomas,
Use Orthodontic ligature ties to hold the guides on the blanks.

[www.amazon.com]

Just slip enough ties onto the blank before you start positioning the guides.

After the guide is wrapped, use a nipper cutter with a sharp tip to cut the tie to finish the wrap. Also, make sure that the guide has been prepped, so that the thread easily climbs up the foot without any hassle.

Date: July 15, 2016 10:55AM

Thanks Roger and Tom!
I'll try both suggestions!

Tom

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 11:48AM

the glue never worked for me could not move them once it was wrapped , I use thin rubber bands , stretch, rap a few turns an tie , cut off
after you start the wrap , I tried rubber sewing thread but lots of fuzz don't like , about 3 wrap's of stretch thin rubber bands will do it for me ,
got the bands from local big box store, every one has there way of doing it . what ever works for you ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2016 12:46PM

Tom,

I use elastic thread to temporarily tie on micro guides. That way, when static loading the blank, I can adjust the guide positions as necessary. I then leave the elastic thread on the guides and wrap up to the elastic thread, after securing the guide foot with the final wrap, and then cut off the elastic thread with a razor blade. On the real small footed tip guides, I use the guide foot glue; but I make sure not to apply too much glue to the bottom of the guide foot. Just enough to make the bottom of the foot shiny.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 08:44PM

I cut pieces of surgical tubing of various diamaters.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 16, 2016 07:26AM

I used to cut up slices of surgical tubing (and still have some left around) but, like Roger I changed over to orthodontic ligature bands. They come in many sizes, eliminate the time cutting the surgical tubing and are all the same width (in each dimension). Big time saver - and can be found on line almost as cheap as a length of good quality tubing.

Date: July 16, 2016 10:59AM

A lot of ideas I never thought of using!
It's amazing to me how many different things can be used in an entirely different way then they were designed for! The key is knowing what's out there!
Thanks again,,,
Tom

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: July 18, 2016 06:29PM

I use gel super glue

Date: July 20, 2016 09:36AM

I tried the regular hot glue on an old guide yesterday and it worked pretty good.
I heated the guide with a lighter and touched the glue stick to the guide and set it on an old rod blank.Let it sit a minute and it was held on pretty good.
I put a little too much glue on but I can remedy that next time.
Thanks again,,,
Tom Kuzia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2016 09:49AM

Thomas,
Yes, one can use some sort of glue on a guide foot to hold the guide in place while wrapping.

But, now you have to deal with the glue that is on the guide foot, when it comes time to alignment etc. Also, if you have a bit too much glue on the guide foot, you have issues with that.

Plenty of ways to hold a guide foot nicely to the blank without having to deal with the after math of using any sort of glue to hold the foot to the blank.

But, certainly if you wish, and if you are happy with the results, use any method that you wish to hold the foot in place while wrapping.

Be safe

Date: July 20, 2016 10:16AM

Roger
I like your dental ligature bands and use them as they are easy to work with too. The smallest i have found are 1/8 inch and when applying guides at the tip of bass rods that have a 4.5 to 5 tip they aren't small enough to hold the guide. It is in that area that I use the guide stick glue. if you have any ideas on how you handle those small tips I sure would like to know. If you have found any bands that are 1/16 they would work but I haven't seen any online.

Also if you use the Flex Coat guide foot glue and once the guides are wrapped it is very easy to move the foot for alignment. The glue has no strength.

Tom

Date: July 20, 2016 11:47AM

Ron
Thanks for the email on where to find the smaller bands. Going to order some today.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster