I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage One 596-4 CCS
Posted by: rick sodke (---.pmc-sierra.bc.ca)
Date: July 14, 2016 08:56PM

I thought some of you might be interested.
I have been considering building a fly rod for myself for Coho Salmon in the Pacific Northwest.
Last year I used my 8wt MHx 10' and although it worked extremely well, it's just too heavy for rivers where the average fish size is 5lbs. I also tried my 4wt MHx 10' and it wasn't powerful enough. I figured I should split the difference and go with a 6wt.

After looking at a number of options I picked up a discontinued Sage One 5wt 9'6" blank for 30% off (from a non-sponsor) and measured the blank today.
From previous discussion and what CCS information is available I knew it would certainly be faster and more powerful than my other 5wts.
I was looking for an ERN between 6.75 and 7 for the required casts of 70+ feet. I don't find AA very useful as a measure, but really wanted a CCF under 80.

ERN: 6.9
AA: 72
CCF: 82 as a 6wt, 77 as a 7wt

The Airflo 40+ line I will use is a bit heavier than a true 6wt so I think it will pretty much hit the mark.
I was actually amazed at the stiffness and power of the blank. It is very reminiscent of the DanCraft FT of old, though of course it is much, much thinner and lighter (tiptop = 3.5).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage One 596-4 CCS
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 14, 2016 10:42PM

I would think a 8 or even a 9 wt If a river fast moving you will need the power for the heavy fish A 4 wt is for trout panfish
Try going online and search the river and state you want to fish You should get a lot of recommendations on rods to use St Croix makes a nice blank At least they used too Have not used anything lately Hang in there You will get more posts that have fished this

Bill - willierods.com

Re: Sage One 596-4 CCS
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.184.161.190.available.above.net)
Date: July 15, 2016 09:57AM

California has a long history of fishing for steelhead and Coho with 5 and 6 wt. rods. They developed a series of flies just for the lighter rods called optics. There is a similar yarn fly tied on a standard bait hook used to drift eggs, used by both gear and fly anglers, that takes about 90 seconds to tie that is effective also.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2016 10:24AM by Spencer Phipps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster