I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Saltwater rod questions
Posted by: Clint Crawford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 27, 2016 11:12AM

A buddy of mine wants a saltwater rod made. He currently uses a 7' Ugly Stik with moderate action and I think he said medium power. He uses this for pretty much everything offshore; grouper, snapper, kingfish and loves it. I wanted to make something similar and just had a couple questions. I found a Rainshadow blank that is pretty similar except med/heavy power that I am going to build on.

I don't do a whole lot of saltwater fishing so my experience is very limited... For offshore jigging do you guys prefer your rod to be perfectly balanced or top/bottom heavy?

Does anyone have a setup that you like for guide sizes/spacing? This is going to be a spinning rod.

Should I get double foot guides, or does it not matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Saltwater rod questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2016 12:14PM

To start, it's really hard to determine what "medium power" is. No standard exists, it's a subjective term and may be more or less from company to company. Without some means of quantifying it with numbers from a standardized system of measurement, you're going to have a tough time trying to match it with similar terms from another manufacturer's catalog. You might email the folks at Batson and ask, as they may have some experience with the Shakespeare rod and be able to point you to a close match in their own line.

Double foot guides are not necessarily called for - the line doesn't care, but the type of use and possible abuse a rod may see could well dictate the sturdier nature of double footed guides. I'm going to take a stab at this from what you've written, and say that you'll most want double foot guides for this project.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.sub-70-209-23.myvzw.com)
Date: June 27, 2016 02:08PM

I like k series double foots for jigging rods, and for jigging I prefer it to be bottom heavy or balanced if possible. But it's all an opinion, other people may like it different.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 27, 2016 06:28PM

Grouper, snapper, kingfish.....sounds like my wheelhouse:) I suppose I should mention I hate the ugly stik rods though.

For a 20# class all purpose spinning rod, for those fish, I'd look at a RCLB70L blank. This is not a jigging blank. I'm not inclined to think that is how he is catching those fish. The blank I mentioned is a live bait blank but will do for trolling and bottom fishing. I would use a quality single foot guide like the byag alconites. Guide sizes would be based on the reel spool diameter. I would normally be fishing "tip down" but I'm more of a live bait guy.

I'll just ask this....if he loves his ugly stik.....considering what they cost.....why would you bother trying to beat what he loves at (at least) twice the price and less warranty?

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:51AM

He took me out fishing for a few days, I wanted to show my appreciation.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 28, 2016 12:37PM

Hello Clint.

If he likes the Ugly Stik brand get him a Gator Blank (KC30-84), from MudHole, it's a 7' 30# IGFA Regulation. blank, tip: 18, butt: 1.012, as for power like Tom said "No standard exists" and you said nothing about line or lure weight.

Where is he fishing? East coast from FL to VA all have these fish but in different size ranges.

Spinning rod in the 30# class I would use all SF guides, I like the ATC Titan Titanium guides (NIA-?) for corrosion, but the A-Frame Ring Lock guides are good too just up to $ on what kind of ring the frames all do the same thing and to me there is not much difference between the rings when using any line but wire.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 28, 2016 08:32PM

The trend in tackle for kingfush these days leans towards lighter drags and softer tipped rods. They want the fish to run and tire itself out so they don't lose it at the gaff. On the other hand you want serious muscle for any reasonable sized grouper. Not sure I see one rod doing well at both unless the grouper are under ten pounds.

Clint, given you went fishing with him please elborate on the "jigging" technique he is using. These days with vertical/waxwing jigs the term can mean very different things.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 29, 2016 10:47AM

Ok some more information:

Not sure on the line, I brought my own reels. I would guess 30-50# mono.

Jigging for him is usually frozen (insert baitfish here) on a bucktail jig of 1-2 oz

He usually fishes in 40-50 feet of water in the Gulf.

Grouper are normally in the 5-12 lb range? I really don't know on this. Reds and gags anywhere from legal up to ~32" was the biggest I've ever caught with him

Date: June 29, 2016 05:47PM

Okay Clint, this is about what I thought he was doing. Standard rig is a 1-2 ounce jig rigged with the extra trailing hooks and a ballyhoo.

I have done 5 decades of this type of fishing. If I really wanted to say thank you, and maybe show him a quality rod puts more fish in the boat, I'd go with a st. croix/rodgeeks 2/3 series inshore blank, 7 foot in a MH or H rating. These blanks will be quite sensitive but a "little" on the fragile side. The RCLB I mentioned is a solid durable choice. A trued and true one is the CLB704/CLB706 blanks by Seeker (also a live bait blank).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster