I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Furled leaders
Posted by: Robert Kelsey (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2016 07:41AM

I ve heard a few comments about why not to use them. Anyone out there used them with success. Ive tried one with a bit of success but set up is a bit confusing. the fly lands last hence the confusion. Do you put tippet on the end of the leader or what.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Furled leaders
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 09:30AM

I put tippet on the ends of my leader, if for no ther reason it gives me a replaceable section for all the break offs, fly changes, etc. makes the tippets last longer. Remember to stretch your line and tippet before use after they have been on the reel with no use in a while, helps everything lay out nice when your fishing.

Date: June 25, 2016 10:18AM

To understand you better, you don't use a different size piece of mono and then the lighter tippet after the furled leader.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 12:00PM

I use tippet material with furled leaders just the same as I do with mono leaders.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 06:18PM

OK, I give, I thought I could figure this out, but no, couldn't. What is the definition of a furled leader?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 06:44PM

Just Google furled leader.

Here is a link
[westernflys.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 06:57PM

If they are a pain to use and make -- why use them Do you think you will catch more fish I don't think so

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 08:49PM

i use them all the time with 2-3' of fluorocarbon tippet. Very easy to cast and "lay out" better for me than mono which tends to curl especially when wound back onto the reel.

Date: June 25, 2016 09:48PM

When I pull my line and or leader out
I always check the leader and if need be straighten it out by running my hand over it - or replacing it and then running my had over it
And after it is straight then clean and lubricate it
Any fly fisher knows this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 11:22PM

Very simple to make and very easy to use, especially if you make them with a tippet ring.

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2016 12:35PM

I worked with a fly fisherman earlier this year making some equipment for him.

He taught me the way that he makes his furled leaders and how he uses them. For him, they are the perfect way to fish. Perhaps not for everyone, but as with many tools, often the right tool makes the job a lot nicer and easier to do.

Be safe

Date: June 26, 2016 12:51PM

There is a lot of info on google with making furled leaders and the difference between them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 26, 2016 01:24PM

One size (or type) does not fit all. Different fishing conditions call for different equipment, and there's STILL no accounting for taste.

Date: June 27, 2016 08:09AM

All I asked was to read about the positive side of furled leaders. Please keep the SNIDE comments to those who are prone to say them to yourselves. I do appreciate the positive comments feom everybody else.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 27, 2016 12:01PM

Robert: My apologies.I meant my post a a statement of facts. I did not mean to offend anyone.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.sub-70-209-26.myvzw.com)
Date: June 27, 2016 12:05PM

Robert you said you were confused by the furled leader because the fly lands last? Well that is what is supposed to happen. Leaders are designed with a stiff butt and a light tippet to turn over the fly so it lands softly and last. Maybe the furled leader improved your technique by getting the fly to turnover property. A tippet is always used on furled leaders. Feather Craft sells furled leader with a very small ring on the end to tie the tippet to. Works well like furled leaders for turning over larger flys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2016 12:08PM by Norman Miller.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2016 01:03PM

Some leader choices:

[blueskyfly.com]

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-135.myvzw.com)
Date: June 28, 2016 11:11PM

I have made and used furled leaders fo years. They have a lot af pro's and few cons. If you make them yourself the cost is pennies,wether you use fly tying thread or light mono. I use mono quilting thread anymore. I have used thread and for small dry fly presentations they are the best,but they don't work for most other presentations. They last a long time. I have some that have three seasons on them and still going strong. They have stretch,especially with mono protecting tippets. I have even made them out of Kevlar for swinging steelhead flies and they work well. The cons are if you buy them they do cost more. They will do straight,reach and roll casts well. They don't like to do hook,parachute,dump,and type of cast that takes a lot of manipulation. They want to roll out straight.

I have made and used furled leaders fo years. They have a lot af pro's and few cons. If you make them yourself the cost is pennies,wether you use fly tying thread or light mono. I use mono quilting thread anymore. I have used thread and for small dry fly presentations they are the best,but they don't work for most other presentations. They last a long time. I have some that have three seasons on them and still going strong. They have stretch,especially with mono protecting tippets. I have even made them out of Kevlar for swinging steelhead flies and they work well. The cons are if you buy them they do cost more. They will do straight,reach and roll casts well. They don't like to do hook,parachute,dump,and type of cast that takes a lot of manipulation. They want to roll out straight.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster