I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KW stripper guide size
Posted by: Frank Summers (---.sub-70-209-208.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2016 05:12PM

Looking to build a saltwater spinning rod using Fuji KW guides and would like suggestions for the stripper guide size. The rod will be a 7' extra fast, 20-40 lb line rating. reel will be an Okuma Raw II 80.
I cannot seem to get the Fuji GPS to show the data on my computer.

Thank You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2016 05:13PM by Frank Summers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KW stripper guide size
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 24, 2016 06:16PM

The biggest factor in your decision is what line type and test do you plan to use. Until that is decided, there is no answer.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2016 06:34AM

Frank once you figure out line type (mono or braid) and line size, then take the diameter of the outer edge of the reel spool, divide that in half and that will be the ring size for the stripper guide to start with. Of course test casting is part of the process but this is a very good way to start.

Example 42mm diameter of reel spool / 2 = 21mm or a 25mm ring size stripping guide.

\Buzz

Date: June 25, 2016 08:29AM

With the tall KW guides and lighter braid sizes you will not need rings of half the spool diameter. Go to the Anglers REsource site, left column has the link, and hit on the catalog button. Go to page 13 and work on from there. Get the info right from Fuji.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 09:59AM

Check here there are several good articals on setting them up
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 10:29AM

With that size line, I would be using a size 30 tall stripper. Better to go a bit bigger than a bit smaller on the stripper to avoid long time line issues and slap from using a guide that is too small.

If in doubt, obtain a tall size 30, a size 25, and a size 20 stripper guide. Then, go ahead and wrap up the rest of the guides.

Then, take each of the different sized strippers and use the heaviest line that you ever plan to use on the rod, and test wrap each of the strippers on the rod and test cast. I suggest that you start with the smallest and if you are happy with the smallest, you won't have to rewrap.

But if you are using heavy mono, I would imagine that you will be wanting to use the size 30.

The size of the stripper guide has very little to do with the feel and handling of the rod, since the stripper is so close to the reel seat. Use the size guide that works best for the reel, line and type work that you are going to use for the rod.

Go to large - no big deal.
Go to small, and every time you cast, you will be irritated with the problems that you have with the line.

Good luck

Date: June 25, 2016 11:28AM

With all due respect, go to the Fuji catalog and let them guide you. Then, with your facts and priorities, you can make the best decision.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 01:08PM

The Okuma Raw II 80 is a very large and heavy reel, in my opinion you will need to go larger rather than smaller with the stripper. It is not so much the ring size that is important but rather the height of the guide. The KW guides are higher than the more traditional double foot guide types. The size 30 KW is as high as a size 40 SV, MN, or N style guides. This increased height allows you to go one ring size smaller. Are you sure you need such a large reel on a 7' rod?
Norm

Posted by: Frank Summers (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 25, 2016 04:56PM

Plan on using long 25# mono topshot and 50# braid backing. Since it is such a large reel I may go to a 7 1/2 to 8' rod.
Thank you for the help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2016 05:04PM by Frank Summers.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2016 12:31AM

I wouldn't worry about the size of the reel, if the blank you mentioned is going to give you the rod you need than build it. Many short casting rods have big casting reels on them with similar weights, just because it's a spinning reel makes no difference to my way of thinking. There is more important reasons for using certain length rods, type of boat they're used on, power necessary to exert on the fish, presentation limitations, hook setting capability, etc. Reel size is IMO below all those.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.2.---)
Date: June 26, 2016 02:40AM

Slightly off topic but just curious about the reel selection compared to the line class. Do you need a lot of line capacity due to the depth you will be fishing?
Also I'm interested in the choice of such a light top shot compared to the main line. It's half the strength of the braid and given braid typically breaks well above its rating, it's even more of a difference.
Cheers.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2016 12:38PM

Mark,
Many of the fishermen who fish Muskies here in the upper midwest often use 50-100 lb braid as their main line along with their leaders. They use the heavier line for its casting ability with the heavy lures that they throw so many times a day in pursuit of their fish.

Be safe

Posted by: Frank Summers (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: June 26, 2016 06:33PM

Thank-you for everyone's input. A lot of things to consider and reconsider but I think l' be been pointed in the right direction.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.2.---)
Date: June 27, 2016 02:59AM

Thanks Roger. That's a very interesting approach. I typically use a very similar size leader or a little heavier. It goes to show the 'horses for courses' variety we see in the fishing circles around the globe.
Cheers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster