I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best overall Bang-for-Buck 10- 40 lb salt water rod blank
Posted by: Mark Talmo (---.dsl.lsan03.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2016 02:52AM

At the risk of opening an unending debate, what do you guys consider the best, all-around, 10-40 lb, rod for Yellowtail, WSB, Calico and the occasional Tuna and Dorado while fishing the islands off SoCal? I had two Calstar rods made for me 30 years ago (before I realizing the benefits and satisfaction of building my own), but they are bigger and more for south-of-the-border trips. Now that I am fortunate enough to have acquired four buddies with local boats who like to use them, I need a good, all purpose rod.. Besides Calstar's offerings, I am also interested in the 9ft Phenix Black Diamond and Black Diamond Hybrid. While I do not mind spending the money, I am certainly not in a position to waste if either. What works for you guys? Prior thanks for responding,
Mark T.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best overall Bang-for-Buck 10- 40 lb salt water rod blank
Posted by: Frank Summers (---.sub-70-209-205.myvzw.com)
Date: June 23, 2016 03:16PM

Rainshadow RCLB series, I've built several and love them all. The RCLB 79ML is my favorite for Yellow tail and school tuna. RCLB 70 xl is good calico stick.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2016 06:23PM

Have to agree with rclb series. That said they aren't in the same leauge as Phenix. Seeker are Calstar are the established names for that fishery, and for good reason.

Given the ground you want to cover I'd build more than one rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2016 12:59AM

RCLBML X3

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.lmi.net)
Date: June 24, 2016 11:58PM

Depends on what you want I guess. IMHO rainshadow>phenix but thats just me. But a 10-40lb rod, calstar 270H is a really nice blank.

Date: June 25, 2016 01:16AM

Sincere thanks to Frank, Russell, Barry and Nick for responding. Admittedly, never heard of Rainshadow before but will certainly research them further. I am certainly not the most intelligent or informed, but cannot ignore a 4-for-4 count! Thank so so much, guys!!!!
Mark T.

Date: June 25, 2016 03:05AM

No sweat Mark. I think before picking you should think about your application though. Do you want to fish live bait, yoyo, or surface iron? Also, did you want something stronger, lighter, parabolic, or faster? Most importantly, it's less about what is "better" or "best" and more about what is best for you and the type of fishing. The Calstar 270-8 or the 270H is a brute rod with excellent action. 8' long it can handle most local and offshore applications for casting and fishing live bait. Though they are brutally strong, the downside is that it is made of glass and a tad on the heavier / bulky side. The RCLB series are really nice glass / graphite composites. The blanks are thick walled, but narrower in size and light weight with great action. You also might want to check out the Challenger Elite series by United Composite, which also boasts graphite and glass composite construction. The glass tips on these rods are shorter than on other composite rods and make up less of the rod by comparison. You get a stronger backbone, increased sensitivity, and a considerably lighter rod than other composite rods on the market. The United Composite blanks, however, are a little more expensive but they are made in the USA by the same folks who used to be at Seeker. Ive built all these rods, including Phenix and love them all. Phenix is good too, it just costs more thats all.

I'm definitely not the most smarteder or informededer either but I suppose we'll be alright.
Hope it gives you more to think about,
Nick

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 25, 2016 09:29AM

There is another forum that is more about the west coast fishery. I don't care for the demenor of some there but it would be a good place to ask your question. Not sure I am allowed to post it's name but here goes......bloody decks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 25, 2016 04:55PM

Nick and Russell,

Thanks for the additional input.
I could not agree more with Nick regarding matching the rod to the situation rather than what is best or better. An inexpensive rod and reel matched to the type of fishing will usually out-fish an unmatched high dollar combo. While I do not toss iron as much as live bait (sardines, mackerel, squid), I am pretty much set on a 9ft rather than 8ft rod to maximize my casting distance of everything. The Black Diamond Hybrid may be a bit too stiff compared to it's non-hybrid brother and the Axis and Abyss as well, but DAMN that's a nice looking rod. I know looks aren't everything and I habitually employ "Form Follows Function" with everything I fabricate, but Damn that's a nice looking rod. While investigating blanks, guides and other components at a huge tackle shop here in SoCal ( two full-time wrappers employed), I inquired about the Rainshadow. They acknowledged Rainshadow's great reputation, but don't see them out here very often as they are kind-of an East coast thing. Certainly not that it is a bad thing, but the Phenix warehouse is only 4 miles from their store. I haven't had an opportunity to research the Challenger Elite yet but really like the fact they are USA made. I was surprised, if not a bit disappointed, to learn Phenix rods are manufactured in China.
Mark T.
<<< FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT >>>

Posted by: Michael Sing (---.static.hlrg.nc.charter.com)
Date: June 26, 2016 12:31AM

Rainshadows are manufactured in China as well. Not 100% sure on this but I was told that most of them are now. That being said I have a couple of Rainshadow rods and I love them both!

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 26, 2016 12:36AM

I recently fished for the first time an RCLB79ML. I dropped cut squid on 6 oz weight and tossed surface iron near the beds. No hook ups with yellows but brought up decent size rockfish no problem. Those things never seem to fight though, just feels like bringing up dead weight. But the action is very nice too, a true XF. It cast like a dream too, wrapped as a spiral with a beefed up Jigmaster. Their website has recipes on building too, if you find yourself lazy and not wanting to static test.

I also built one of their jig boat rods for yo yo-ing iron. It's a 30-60 7-footer. Really nice too. And the price tag on these is pleasant as well.

Funny to think of Rainshadow as an east coast rod when Batson is HQed out of Washington State.

I built a rod for a Shimano Baitrunner on a Value E-glass from mudhole. Not a bad rod, but they exaggerate when they say fast live bait tip. More of a moderate. I enjoy it though. It's good for fly lining a sardine.

Date: June 26, 2016 02:39AM

Rainshadow has a very niche socal following, with some heavy recognition amongst some of the most devout salt guys. It's not as mainstream as phenix, though it definitely has it's mark. As for a 9' blank, I would look at the United Composites CE900 series. For Calstar look at the composite BTG690J, 900M, and glass 690J. The Seeker pinhead series is an awesome rod too and they have some 9' blanks.

Well damn. Now I'm not being helpful, I love them all what can I say. Best of luck!

Date: June 27, 2016 02:07AM

Additional sincere thanks are due to Michael, Randy and Nick for their assistance and input. Nick, don't be so hard on yourself, you ARE helping. I have yet to contact United Composites, but certainly will. Randy, while I am not afraid of static testing and have utilized the procedure, being a newbie, I question my ability to do so precisely. I am probably being too critical of myself but am pretty AR with everything I do. Michael, you just made it 5 for 5 regarding Rainshadow. Hard to ignore.
Thanks again. You guys and this website are awesome!!!
Mark T.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster