I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Little Known item from Fuji
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 22, 2016 10:05AM

Slick! Many dealers don't even know about this thing. If you want one you'll probably have to ask the dealer to get them in stock.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Little Known item from Fuji
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2016 11:17AM

Jim,

What is the retail price for the Speed Threader? I was thinking of picking up a bunch for my clients, if they are not too pricey.

Thanks

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2016 12:04PM

Basically the same thing as a bobbin treader used by fly tyers and In a smaller version for treading needles. I make my own by bending thin stainless wire into the shape shown. I use them for casting reels but not for guides because I make them with a handle so I won't lose them. Need to make some without the handle for guide treading.
Norm

Date: June 22, 2016 12:54PM

Suggested retail is around $2.99, Don.

Norm I know it looks like a piece of bent wire but I was amazed at the engineering that went into this little guy. It's brazed together and ground to a mirror finish and the bend in the smooth tip is the perfect angle to grab off the blank when it comes through the guide. Somebody gave this a lot of thought.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2016 12:54PM by Jim Ising.

Date: June 22, 2016 01:47PM

Three dollars is not a bad price. I was thinking it would be more. If you make your own you have to start with a spool of wire plus wire bending tools, which will cost more. However if you already have the wire and tools the cost to make them would be pennies, and would have to make about 3 or 4 (@ $3 ea) to recoup the cost of the wire. I have lots of different size wire on hand for making lures, leaders, hook keepers, etc. So bending wire to me is no big deal and is fun to do. The Fuji treaders may look better than mine but the design is very similar and based on the common bobbin treader design. I do think it is good that Fuji introduced a treader designed specifically for treading casting reels and micro guide rods, which can be frustrating to do for many anglers.
Norm

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: June 22, 2016 02:44PM

Frabill also sells a similar product for threading ice fishing spring bobbers - it has a bead on the handle end and therefore cannot be used to thread guides but works fine on bait casting reels

Posted by: William Bauer (216.105.66.---)
Date: June 22, 2016 05:35PM

So, who has them for sale? I'm a sucker for new gadgets.

Bill

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: June 23, 2016 08:48AM

I use dental floss threaders in fly tying and rod building. They work great, are cheap and easy to find.

[www.gumbrand.com]

Date: June 23, 2016 09:25AM

William, I'm not sure who has them because they are new and we've haven't talked much about them. Anyone dealer can get them, call and insist ;)

Date: June 23, 2016 10:52AM

The Rod Room has them listed on their on line site.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2016 11:12AM

Get several in case you step on one LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 24, 2016 09:52AM

I'll send one free to the first five folks who email me at info@anglersresource.net BUT YOU MUST PROMISE TO WRITE YOUR REVIEW ON THE FORUM. Include your mailing address.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster