I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide spacing for 4 piece, 2 wt , 6'6" flyrod
Posted by: Sam Slack (---.rh2.dsl.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 04:26PM

I need some suggestions for guide spacing (and sizes) for a Hook &/Hackle (Xi series) 4 piece, 2 wt. flyrod. Problem is standard guide charts
don't take into account putting 4th guide (from top) exactly on the female end of the tip section of the rod. So trying to figure better guide placement
(particularly on the end of the tip section) and all other guides. Would appreciate some help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing for 4 piece, 2 wt , 6'6" flyrod
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 04:45PM

Put the wrap as close to the end of the female ferrule as practical and it will provide the female ferrule reinforcement that most like to have. Check performance before final wrap. Keep in mind also that charts are approximations, so don't hesitate to change them if performance tells you there is better spacing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 04:45PM

Nothing wrong with putting the guide on the female end of a sections. Done all the time!

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 20, 2016 06:59PM

Sam,
You might use this.
7 guides
Distance from tip

4.4 ; 9.7 ; 15.9 ; 23.3 ; 32.2 ; 42.7 ; 55.2

Placing a guide on the ferrule wrap is normally considered a good thing. It's already a stiff section of the blank and the ferrule wrap is necessary

Gene

Posted by: Sam Slack (---.rh1.dsl.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 08:59PM

Gene... Thanks... but the problem still is that the 4th guide from tiptop would be on beginning of next section rather then moved up towards the tip yet still on the
ferrule wrap area. The rod company's chart has it on the very end of the tiptop section at 21 inches. Should I move that wrap up 1/2 or 1 inches so it would
clear the end of the ferrule? But then how much do I need to change the guide spacing between all the other guides?

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 09:22PM

Do a 1/4 to 3/8 ferrule wrap then start the wrap on the guide foot

Ron Weber

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 21, 2016 11:43AM

Sam

I've been an outwrapper for many years for a few different companies and I have put guides right on the end of a ferrule many times. A lot of the spey rods I wrap have the stripper guide on the end of a ferrule and there have been no problems.

Posted by: Sam Slack (---.rh1.dsl.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: June 21, 2016 05:25PM

Thomas: Thanks for the tip... but do I need to change the other distances between other guides to account for some changes on this end of ferrule wrap?
And would you do as Ron Weber suggests and wrap 1/4 to 3/8 from end of ferrule before wrap the snake guide foot? Sam Slack

Date: June 21, 2016 06:42PM

Sam,
Assemble the blank and provide the required location distance from the tip to the offending guide.
I'll then adjust the progression to place a guide at that location.
All guides will then be adjusted based on the position of the priority guide.

Gene

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 21, 2016 07:00PM

A guide spacing chart is not the end Static Test the rod when you get the guides in place - And the ferules wrapped this way you can give the guides a final placement
O ya test cast also

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 22, 2016 09:14AM

Sam,
See if this is more to your liking

7 Guides, 4 guides on tip section, 4th guide at 19.5 inches from tip

4.0 ; 8.5 ; 13.6 ; 19.5 ; 28.5 ; 40.1 ; 55.2

My original proposal would have reduced the number of guides on tip section to 3 for quicker rod response. It did not place a guide at the ferrule, which I now believe to be where you want it.

Hope this works better for your application.
You may shift the entire progression or just a single guide if required.

Gene

Posted by: Sam Slack (---.rh2.dsl.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: June 22, 2016 11:33AM

Thanks Gene: I''ll check it out and see how that works for me. Sam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster