I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Lakes Drop Shot Blank
Posted by: Nick Christou (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 19, 2016 07:40PM

Hi there, looking to build a drop shot spinning rod for Great Lake smallmouth.
I don't want to spend a fortune on the blank but am looking for something light weight and strong. This set up will use braided line to a fluorocarbon leader.
I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Lakes Drop Shot Blank
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 20, 2016 05:33AM

Top Dawg my in book I use [www.getbitoutdoors.com], Next would be [www.getbitoutdoors.com], These light blanks while designed for dropshot, Will also cast a smaller lure or jig a country mile, With a light tip with a nice Backbone for a great hookset also. So keep that in mind they are versable. I have the imms610mxf-tc and have used the revs610mxf as well . Their are others by MHX and Bushido That I can't comment on as I have never used them-yet. Jaa

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 10:08AM

Check out the Bushido DS69/4-10 or the DS69/8-15

As you saw in a post last week the many who use the Bushido become huge fans right away.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: ricky espenschied (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: June 20, 2016 02:47PM

Get bit still shows the rx6 sb822.5 also for around 40.00 dollars. not as sensitive as some but still a good blank

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: June 20, 2016 04:43PM

Bushido DS69/4-10 is the perfect blank for Big Lake, clear water Smallies. I run 10 lb test Bushido Braid to 6lb fluorocarbon on my drop shot rods. Straight, strong, and very quick tip make running a drop shot sweet. I run a lot of light jigs, and really like the Bushido 72/4-8 for that kind of fishing. Both blanks are impressive.

Posted by: Frank McKinney (---.sub-70-196-36.myvzw.com)
Date: June 20, 2016 09:53PM

Get Bit sells the Liberty DS 700-USA is a good drop shot blank and is made in the good old USA, 66 dollars and change. Try it you won't be sorry. Kevin and crew are good people to deal with.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 10:09PM

The Batson SB822.5 in all it's forms is a dandy blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2016 07:53AM

Braided line is the great equalizer when it comes to selecting a rod blank. Its use allows a builder to use a less sensitive blank, and still achieve the sensitivity of a more sensitive blank, using a different line type.

With that said, imagine the sensitivity of braided line on an extremely sensitive blank?

I don't know what your definition of spending a fortune on a blank is, but if a little either side of $100 is acceptable, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a blank better than a blank from Rainshadow's Immortal series of blanks. Either an IMMC73ML, or an IMMS72M. As you can see by the lettering, one of the blanks is from their C (casting) line of blanks, the other from there (S) spinning line of blanks.

Both blanks are rated very close to one another as far as lure weight, and line size are concerned. I've not built on the spinning blank mentioned, but I have built on the casting blank I mentioned. The IMMC73ML blank is phenomenal and IMO would make an awesome spinning rod blank or a finesse casting rod blank, which is what I built on it.

It has plenty of power for setting the hook in deep water, and is incredibly sensitive with a nice light tip at the same time. I use 12# Seaguar Tatsu fluorocarbon line on the rod I built on it, and I can pretty much count pebbles with it in 15' - 20" of water using a 3/16 oz. shaky head jig. Not being a fan of braid, I haven't tried it on the rod yet, but I could probably count grains of sand if I did.

It really is an awesome blank.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 07:56AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2016 10:45AM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Batson SB822.5 in all it's forms is a dandy
> blank.

I second this suggestion. An outstanding D/S Blank!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2016 10:46AM by Donald R Campbell.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 22, 2016 01:57PM

I agree with Don and Spencer. I am building one now on the Batson SB822.5. I have built a bunch of DS rods on this blank and they are outstanding.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 22, 2016 02:10PM

If I recall, I believe that Mr. Gardner is also a fan of those blanks for DS'ing I do think that he preferred the RX8+ version but I am not sure which one in the current lineup will align with that previous model. Maybe Batson will bring out a new blank even above the level of the current offerings that would be off the charts!!

Tom

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 22, 2016 03:44PM

The new IMMS610MXF Replaced the old XSB822.5 witch was RX8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster